We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

2 hd discs, 2OS, sata connections, how?

rickf

Likes # 0

Hi, I would like to have 2 OS's in my desk top PC. The connections are Sata. I have Win 7 in there now but would like to put in another h/d with XP professional. How to do this? Many thanks.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Format the new hard drive to NTFS

Boot from the XP installation disk and start the install process.

When it comes to choosing a partition, make sure you select the one on the new hard drive

Basically you continue through as if you were doing a clean install on any hard drive.

Create Boot Loader

Once installation of XP is successful you can now go through and install the latest Microsoft Updates and drivers.

You will find that the machine is booting directly into XP at this time. This is due to XP writing it’s bootloader over Windows 7’s. To get both XP and Windows 7 as an option at the boot screen you can use the free utility EasyBCD.

When you open EASYBCD with the Reinstall windows Vista/7 bootloader selected . click on Write MBR button

Reboot the PC

After getting the bootloader back you should see both XP and Windows 7 as options in the Windows Boot Manager.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Thanks guys

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded