We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Website to prompt Storing Passwords

Woody Ham

Likes # 0

Is there a way of inviting viewers of the web site to store their password automatically. I thought this facility was a function of one's browser but can I code something to ask people if they want it saved.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Think about it.

You're saying that you want to ask people if they want you to save the passwords they have set up to access something on your site. Why would you want to do that? You must save the passwords, otherwise how will your site know when someone enters one correctly?

User passwords are saved in a database, and your site uses an authentication protocol to check an entered password against the list on the server. Users can't say 'no, I don't want my password saved' can they?

Like this post
Woody Ham

Likes # 0

Sorry - I worded my post badly. Of course we have the passwords saved.

What I am seeking to do is help members so that the password is automatically inserted by their machines when they log in: it would save them looking up and then typing in the password each time. The membership is not generally computer savvy and I was looking to make their life easier. Sorry for the confusion. Hope this is clearer.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Surely browsers offer this facility and, I think, it is turned on by default. So someone not that IT literate will not have to do anything and the browser will ask if they want the password saved.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Thanks for the clarification. fourm member has made the point here - browsers offer to save passwords and auto-enter them.

Offering to auto-enter passwords via a web server is an insecure practice.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite