We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Toshiba Satellite A100 RAM upgrade problems

shorty40

Likes # 0

I have a Toshiba Satellite A100-259 laptop and I want to upgrade the RAM from 1gb to 2gb, which is supported by this laptop. Problem is the laptop will not boot up after I have installed the new RAM, instead it starts up for a few seconds and turns off again, it then repeats this process about 5 - 6 times before switching off totally. I initially thought the RAM wasn't compatible but when I put one of the new 1gb RAM modules in with one of the original 512mb modules the laptop boots up fine and shows 1.37gb of RAM available (I presume remainder of RAM is used for graphics). I can change the 1gb module with the other 1gb module and laptop still boots fine, proving that the new 1gb RAM modules work in this laptop independently, they will just not work together. Bios has been updated, so I have absolutely no idea why the new RAM will not allow my laptop to boot up. Any ideas and / or solutions to this would be greatly appreciated.

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 0

Sounds like a speed mismatch. can you give the full specs of the new memory - where did you get it? I have a Tosh A100 with 2GB RAM and never had any problems upgrading.

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 0

Another factor is RAM density - how many chips on each side of the modules?

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 0

The manual specifically states PC4200 RAM chips, unusual for it to be incompatible with faster chips but it appears the putting one of the original chips in satisfies the speed requirements.

Like this post
shorty40

Likes # 0

Thanks for the response jaywoo. Sounds like you are correct with the speed mismatch thing. The seller sent me wrong RAM modules as the ones supplied to me are PC2-5300S modules. For your info they have 8 chips on either side, but as they are wrong anyway, no need to progress any further. Cheers again for the help, I wouldn't have known otherwise, and been scratching my head for the next few weeks wondering what the problem is.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia