We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

e-sata drive in enclosure Windows 8

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just bought an e-sata enclosure for a sata drive. The transfer speed goes up to 46 MB/s which is good. Now Win 8 sees it as a removable drive but the safely remove icon isn't interested. I connect the e-sata cable first then the usb power. Win 8 says it's a removable drive. Never liked the hot swappable system and have always used the 'remove hardware safely' icon.

To remove the drive, and it's only a data drive, I make sure nothing is being written to it (cashe not being used?) so remove the usb power supply then remove the e-sata cable. Seems to work OK.

Would it be better to go to Disk management (easy in 8) then select the left pane for the drive, and select 'offline' before disconnecting the power?

I think it would but would like someone else's opinion.

Thanks.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Well, after trying it and reconnecting the drive via e-sata caddy I don't get the pop-up asking how to open the removable drive. Auto run won't work unless reboot I think.

Back to Disk management, wait for it to load, then in the left pane, it shows 'offline', re-setting to 'online' then the auto run pop-up shows and everything back to normal. Knowing this I would appreciate if this is a safer way to remove a drive connected externally by e-sata connection?

Many thanks.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I cannot remember the last time I used the 'Safely remove device icon' before disconnecting. If you are sure the drive is not being written to then go ahead and pull it.

I also do not have auto run or the pop up asking what I want to do with the device enabled either.

Like this post  
rdave13

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronos the 2nd. Will carry on removing the power then the e-sata cable making sure it is not being written to.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 deals: Find the best contract for your new iPad

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...