We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

two pc's to one printer

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

I wish to connect 2 XP machines to one printer without using a switch module. Tried to do it by network via my router but can't get it working. Can anyone help on this please.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I have tried all the usual things but I am missing something which I think is to do with the networking.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Sorry Fruit Bat

Did not see your reply above when posting mine

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Maybe the clue is in your last post. Are both printers set to the same workgroup. can you access files on the other machine using Windows Explorer and clicking on the Network icon in the left panel. In other words is this a network problem in general or a printer on the network problem. I suspect it is the former.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Change the workgroup name on both PCs and retry.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

OK, had another go using a different USB stick which I had formatted.

Comp 1

Setup home/office network. Comp description=FIRST Workgroup=FRUITBAT.

Create a set up disk, used the USB stick.

Insert the disk in the other PC you want to network, restart.

Comp 2

netsetup, comp description=SECOND workgroup=FRUITBAT.

File and printer sharing turned on. Finish the wizard.

View workgroup computers shows both PC's.

Comp 1

View workgroup computers says "Fruitbat is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Turn anti virus and windows firewall off and try again.

Try ping ing the other PC Windows key + R - to get a run box cmd - for a dos box ping ip address of other pc - post results

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Jollyjohn, thanks for that but not sure what you mean.Neither keyboards have a windows key. " to get a run box cmd - for a dos box ping ip address of other pc -" Sorry but I don't understand what you mean.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

OK Start Run This opens a run box - in the box type cmd This opens a Dos box First type ipconfig /all and note the ip address of the PC Do the same on the other PC, and note the ip address On PC 1 type ping "ip adress pc 2" This will confirm if the PC's are connected and communicating.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Did you also do as advised above ie to turn off the firewalls on both computers before trying the ping.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi again, the 2 PC's can ping each other. The printing trouble shooter on PC 2 says it cannot ping the print server. Both PC's are now showing in View Workgroup Computers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...