We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

two pc's to one printer

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

I wish to connect 2 XP machines to one printer without using a switch module. Tried to do it by network via my router but can't get it working. Can anyone help on this please.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Is it a wireless printer?

does it have an ethernet connection or just a USB?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

You probably need a print server have a read here

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 1

bumpkin: if the two PCs in question are both on the same network - I assume you've set up some sort of homegroup? - then it couldn't be easier. You physically attach the printer to one of the PCs. The other PC on the network should be able to 'see' that PC, and all the shared resources on it - including the printer. The 'other' PC just needs to install a remote printer - so, use the 'add printer' wizard, and choose the 'network printer' option. The wizard will search for the printer on the other machine, find it and install it. If you're unlucky, you'll need to install the printer driver on the second machine. In effect, that first PC is acting as a print server, but in a very simple way.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

OK,printer connected to PC 1. PC 2 sees the printer but wont print just puts docs in queue.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Fruitbat, it is a wired printer connected to PC 1 via normal usb printer cable.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

A printer server connected to your router would mean you do not need PC1 on to print from PC2.

File and print sharing enabled in PC1?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

File and print sharing enabled in PC 1.

No it is not' try as I may I cannot do this.

Maybe I have failed to set up the network correctly. Both PC's are connected to a Belkin wireless router, they both connect fine to the internet. Both have wireless USB sticks and on board PCI cards with cable connections to the same router.

Just can't work this one out

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I know I can do this easily by swapping 2 cables or using a switch but find it frustrating not being able to do it via network.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Have you checked that the firewall is not blocking the printer.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

firewall turned off on both PC's to check this but no result. On PC 2 printer shows with the hand underneath and ticked. I can type something in notepad and try to print it but it wont print just adds it to the print queue.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today