We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Usb ports both fail at the same time

Eileanbeag

Likes # 0

My son uses a mesh laptop with Windows Vista - it is about 5 or 6 years old but works fairly well until today. He does not like the touch pad and today both usb ports failed. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the ports and updated the drivers but this has had no effect. Any answers or is the computer just done. Why would both ports fail simultaneously?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Given its age, I'd suspect the USB controller on the motherboard may have gone kaput (cracked solder or component failure) - I can think of no other reason for both to die at the same time. I've never, for example, heard of malware causing this kind of problem. What was going on with the laptop prior to the USB ports failing? I fear you may be looking at buying a new laptop...

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Why would both ports fail simultaneously?

USB ports will be on one "hub" current limit is 1A and a faulty device could have overloaded the hub.

or both ports (one above other?) soldered to same connections on board and has worked loose and needs resoldering.

However first open device manager View - Show hidden devices -

then uninstall ALL USB devices including the hidden ones - reboot and let windows find and install the USB ports (if it can't detect them then likely needs a resolder or chipset is blown).

Like this post
Eileanbeag

Likes # 0

Have tried that and windows is detecting the ports but they are still not functioning and yesa they are one above the other so suspect computer is kaput. Many thanks for your help

Like this post
Eileanbeag

Likes # 0

Have tried that and windows is detecting the ports but they are still not functioning and yesa they are one above the other so suspect computer is kaput. Many thanks for your help

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Try a powered Hub

or

Disable the Selective Suspend feature. However, be aware that when the Selective Suspend feature is disabled, all USB host controller drivers (and therefore all USB ports and connected USB devices) in the system are affected. Therefore, your computer cannot suspend any USB devices that are connected to it, and the USB devices can continue to use power while connected to the computer. Additionally, the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box does not appear on the Power Management tab for the USB Root Hub.

To have us disable the Selective Suspend feature for you, go to the "Fix it for me" section.

If you would rather do this yourself, and you are comfortable with advanced troubleshooting,

Click Start, and then click Run.

Note If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, and then use the Start Search box.

Type regedit, and then click OK. Registry Editor opens.

Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEYLOCALMACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\USB

If the DisableSelectiveSuspend registry entry is present, double-click it.

If it is not present, create the entry. To create the entry, follow these steps:

On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD.

Type DisableSelectiveSuspend, and then press ENTER.

On the Edit menu, click Modify.

In the Value data field, type 1 to disable the Selective Suspend feature, and then click OK.

from enter link description here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...