We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Website unavailable in Firefox but available with IE

LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

There are two sites that I have trying to access through Firefox. I do not get the 404 page up or the like but the actual website stating that the site is effecting repairs - please try later. This one particular site has been churning out this message now for 3 weeks but when I decided to try Internet Explorer yesterday I could get on the site. Trying Firefox again failed with the same message about repairs. The other site I am trying to access stated in Firefox that business not trading at present but site will be up and running in due course. Through IE the site is live. One other thing, with the first site even though access has been gained through IE on my PC it will not progress further when I click a link but on my laptop, I have no problem with the link. Can anyone please explain these problems - I am starting to think that there is something awry with the configuration of Firefox on my PC but I have no idea what. Similarly, the configuration in IE could be preventing the link working on my PC but again I've no idea what it could be.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Limestone, it's possible that a rogue Firefox add-on is causing your problem, so as a test, start Firefox with all add-ons disabled and let us know whether you can now view those websites properly. If you can then then there should be a way of fixing the problem. See here if you don't know how to do it.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

.....and another test you can do is to see if the website opens normally when you use its IP address instead of its usual URL. Either copy and paste this into Firefox, type it in manually, or simply click on the link:

http://91.199.56.79

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

Jock1e

Cheers--got v.20

Like this post
LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

Thanks Secret-Squirrel. No joy though - started Firefox with add-ons disabled but still not getting through to the website, just the one where it tells me site being updated (this has shown for 3 weeks but the site is accessible properly in IE. Also same with using http://91.199.56.79. Have now run Superantispyware but this has not cleared problem in Firefox or the link one in IE.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try running Firefox in safe mode (not Windows safe mode) to see if it gets to the site. Press the Shift key when double clicking the firefox icon. You'll get a pop-up stating it is running in safe mode.

Like this post
LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

It didn't work I am afraid, still the same result.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

The links work for me in Firefox 20 - my Firefox connection settings are...

Tools - Options - Advanced - Network - in the Connection section click on Settings - Select No Proxy.

Like this post
LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

Thanks difarn but no joy.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Have you checked that Java Script is enabled? Options - content.

You could see if hardware acceleration is causing the problem - Options, Advanced, General

Like this post
LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

Both Java Script & hardware acceleration are ticked/enabled.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do