We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

MS Updates constantly?

rickf

Likes # 0

Hi, I have been getting Security updates for MS NET. Framework4 all the time these last 3 days. Every time I updated and shut down there would be 2 more when I next used the laptop. OS Win7 and IE10. I recently installed Flixster to download a movie using the voucher code which was provided with the DVD. Has this got anything to do with it or is this quite normal? I have since uninstalled Flixster but the saga continues. Seems I am spending my life updating. Can anyone shed some light on this. Thanks

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Check in Update History. It may be that the update is failing to install, the system then tries to download it again ad infinitum. If that is the case, I'd just blank that one update from downloading.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

While you're in the "View update history" section you're likely to see numerous failed updates that have occurred during the last three days. If you do then double click on one to view the full details and report back the update code (Which starts with "KB") and its failure code.

With that info someone may be able to suggest a fix.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

I have just done a repair of MS Framework4 Client Profile as advised on website of MS Community Forum. Will feed back if everything is ok. I have just noticed next to the shut down button there are 2 more updates. Will installed these and see what happens. Thanks for quick responses.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

It didn't work. Still keep getting non-stop updates. I may well just save my important data and reinstall wins7. Fed up with it.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try going to control panel and uninstall all instances of dot Net. Make sure that windows update is configured to don't download but notify. Start from the highest Framework version to the lowest. Reboot when asked and carry on. Once all the dot net framework is uninstalled reboot again and run Ccleaner's reg cleaner. Reboot then check Microsoft update is still set to your options of installing updates.

Update ,say, two or three at a time. Will take a bit of time but better than a new install I think.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Framework not showing in prog&features in 8 so check that out first in 7. Mine is in windows features.

Not good.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Thanks rdave13. Will give that a try this week. Preparing for work so no time now. Will feedback.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad