We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC Desktop power supply ticks

Mr Mole

Likes # 0

I have a desktop pc that does not power up. Power cable is fine (checked). The power switch on the front of the pc does nothing. The power supply unit does not smell as if burnt out. But when the power cable in the power supply unit a faint ticking can be heard like an old wrist watch. Is this the time to replace the power supply unit or is it more serious. Thanks in advance

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

When things tick, it can be an hard-drive, fan or perhaps psu.

Depending on the age, wattage and usage of the existing unit, then a new psu might be the answer. Have a look on eBay for a replacement. I buy my 350w/500w psu's from there for £10/£14 delivered.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Easy to check using the paper clip test. It's a simple means to bypass the switch on the front of the PC. The video is quite long for a simple job, but is useful if you're not used to working inside the box. The voltages involved are low, so no need to worry.

Like this post
bjh.

Likes # 0

Can I just add that the voltages in a PSU itself are most definitely NOT low. Go near that with a paperclip, and you may have no more worries - ever.

If nothing else is powering up (no lights, no fans, no HDD), I'd buy a new PSU and try it out. Or swap from another machine, if you have one.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I didn't say the voltages withing the PSU were low - the voltages on the mobo plug, which is the one involved in this, are. I agree you should never open a PSU as they are not repairable.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......