We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Changing from MS Office 2003 pro to MS Office Home and Student 2010

Damarc

Likes # 0

As my old Office has more stuff on it than Home and Student, should I uninstall the old programme before installing the nwq 2010 Home and Student version or can I retain the benefit of Outlook,Access and Publisher from the old versions if I install Home and Student without uninstalling the old version?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

You can run both on the same PC with no problems. Just put the shortcuts you want from each programme on the desktop.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Make sure when you install the second version, that it installs into a differnt folder from the existing otherwise some important files may get over-written. This may happen automatically, but double-check to be sure.

Like this post
Damarc

Likes # 0

You've got me worried now because when I install anything I just let the wizard get on with it. Will it ask me where I want to put the files and do I need to prepare a folder in advance to put it in?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I always click the recommended destination, which is the 'Programs' Folder. It does the rest itself

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

xania, what do you mean? can you explain what you've said please.

I do same as wee eddie and then whatever I'm installing makes itself it's own folder inside the Programs Folder.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Sometimes, the proposed install location folder is somewhat generic so both versions of office might have the same generated install folder. You can be safer if you ensure that the name of your new install folder ends in 2010.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

xania, well I've read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2121447 and think if you know step by step instructions it would be helpful if you could advise Damarc

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

(sorry hadn't quite finished) because I got a bit confused on the actual process.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Damarc

I need to know what folder you have office installed in. Go to the Start button, then Computer, then select your C:\ drive and go to Program Files then you should find a folder called something like 'Microsoft Office'. I need to know EXACTLY what this folder is called, because when you install your new software it will probably default to this same folder and it is that we will need to change.

Like this post
Damarc

Likes # 0

Sorry I haven't responded earlier but I haven't had an email saying there were new answers. Anyway I went ahead and installed. it didn't ask for a specific destination but in the end, under Programmes under startup, all of the MS Office files were there, the old 2003 which had publisher and access still available to me and also the four new 2010. So very pleased it all went well. Thank you for your replies.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony PlayStation 5 release date, price and specs UK: When is the PS5 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV release date rumours, features: 'new Apple TV next week' rumour

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow