We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What have I done to my ipod?

JaneAttwood

Likes # 0

Please help - I have managed to wipe my ipod clean and i have no idea how or how to sort it out.

My son-in-law changed some hardware on my computer because it had stopped reading CDs - then he went back to London. My computer now reads CDs and it loaded them into my itunes but when I tried to synchronise my ipod it said it didn't recognise it. I did all the stuff it suggested - turned it on and off and then uninstalled itunes and all the allied programmes and then reinstalled it. Itunes had then lost all the CDs I had previously loaded and all my podcasts. Worse - when I (stupidly) tried to synchronise my ipod, it wiped everything off it.

Please help

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Check PC still has all music and podcast files still on (use explorer)

In itunes library do a search for media and it will reload all the files into itunes.

then sync the ipod.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

If you un-installed and then reinstalled itunes then unfortunately your music has been removed from your iPod and it will need to re-loaded. It is a long borne annoyance of itunes that it will not copy from the device to the PC only the other way.

Like this post
JaneAttwood

Likes # 0

Fruitbat

Thank you for this - could you be a bit more explicit - I am a novice with computers.

Where do i check that music is still there? What is explorer?

Sorry to be dim.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Help > iTunes Help > Index (tab)

Search for "importing" then select "Importing music and video already on your computer". The help topic will detail exactly how to do it. If you can't find that information, here it is:

Importing music and video already on your computer You can import an audio file (or all the audio files in a folder) into your iTunes library.

If you have an iPod, you can add music to it only by using iTunes. To add music from MusicMatch Jukebox or Audible Manager to your iPod, you need to first import the music into iTunes.

Here are ways to import an audio file into your iTunes library: ? To import an individual audio file, choose File > Add File to Library, and then locate the music file you want added to your library.

? To import all the audio files in a folder, choose File > "Add Folder to Library," and then locate the folder containing the music you want added to your library. The My Music folder (inside the My Documents folder) is often the default location for files imported using other applications, such as MusicMatch.

By default, adding songs to your iTunes library places a pointer to each audio file in the iTunes Music folder; the original file remains in the current location. For information about copying files to the iTunes Music folder instead of referencing them, click the link below.

If the file is an unprotected WMA file and you have Windows Media Player Series 9 or later installed, iTunes makes a copy of the file in AAC format—or whatever format is chosen in the Advanced pane of iTunes preferences (in the Importing pane)—and adds it to your iTunes library. The original WMA file remains unchanged. You can't add protected WMA files or protected WMV files to iTunes.

If you want to search your entire computer, simply select the C: folder to search. Good luck!

Like this post
JaneAttwood

Likes # 0

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Your welcome

Like this post
JaneAttwood

Likes # 0

I have another question - hope that's ok.

In itunes, it no longer says 'Jane's ipod' anywhere - and although my ipod is restored, I cannot see that it automatically synchronises like it used to. Any suggestions?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

see Renaming

see Syncing

Like this post
JaneAttwood

Likes # 0

when I click on your links it tells me that my browser won't support it - I have no idea what that means!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

try copy and paste into your browsers address line

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3965

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1351

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...