We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 64bit - will it run my current programs

johnincrete

Likes # 0

I was browsing the shops for a cheap laptop and noticed that they all came with Windows 8 64 bit. How can I find out if I would be able to run my current programs that are running under XP? I have Office 2003, Serif's WebPlus, PagePlus and MoviePlus all X5, an old copy of Nero that I use for burning CD's (at least 10 per week)and an old version of WavePad that gets lots of use. Plus, of course, lots of other bits and pieces. Apart from the Serif stuff, I don't have installation CD's.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

If you go to Windows 8 compatibility centre you can type in each programme in turn to see if it is compatible. I did it for Office 2003 (not compatible) and Serif WebPlus x5 (is compatible) just type the names in and all will be revealed.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Many programmes install as 32 bit, even on a 64 bit machine. You will see them , in windows explorer, in C:Programme Files(x86)as opposed to C:/Programme Files that are the 64 bit ones. Most should be OK. Do follow what chub_tor suggeasts.

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

Thanks for the link chub_tor. Most of my programs either are not compatible or are not recognised. Typical Microsoft!

It seems that I would need to buy new software and that makes these cheap laptops much more expensive

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I recently bought a W8 32 bit PC. Office 2003 runs fine on it, despite MS saying it won't.

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

Suck it and see is the best option, Office 2003 is my oldest program and that works perfectly with Win 8 x64, there's also compatibility mode to try.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Typical Microsoft! Well John you can't expect things to go on forever. There has been been several MS OS's since XP many of which have run older programs, perhaps with a bit of tweaking but you wouldn't expect today's modern car to run like it does with an old carburettor on it, would you?

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

I notice you don't have the install media so looks like you will need new copies anyway although there are free copies of Nero on the web, don't know about others.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Chances are very many old 32 bit programs will run. Where one tends to run into problems is where 32 bit drivers are involved.

With Win7 64 bit, the only program I've run into that just won't work is an old 16 bit French-English dictionary that was originally developed for Win3.1

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

You should also check for any attached hardware i.e printer, camera.

BTW, (on my regular high horse) if you don't REALLY want Windows 8, why not go for the more reliable Window 7 - I understand there are plenty of suppliers that will give you that option. You will have the same (or similar) compatibility problems, but IMHO a far better overall experience if your don't have a touch screen device.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Another thought.

If you have 32 bit programs that put things in the context menus for folders / files (as in Windows Explorer context menus), these won't work under Win7/8 64 bit. And, as I understand it, unlike Vista you can't force the 32 bit version on Windows Explorer to run (even if it is on the PC) and so cannot get the context menus that way.

Basically a 32 bit context menu item can't be launched from a context menu in 64 bit Windows Explorer.

However, there is a reasonable workaround in Wow64Menu http://www.gasanov.net/WOW64Menu.asp

This creates a (presumably 64 bit) Wow64Menu context menu entry (in 64 bit Windows Explorer). If you click on this entry it launches (a presumably 32 bit) "sub-"context menu with the applicable 32 bit context menu entries.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......