We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Box entitled, 'Express Settings', what is it?

exdragon
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi - a small box has recently started appearing on my desktop, with the above title. It's about an inch deep, won't enlarge and is totally black with nothing written anywhere except the title. There are no Properties and the only options are to Move or Close. Clicking the usual red cross in the corner doesn't work, so the only way to get rid of it is to use the Alt+F4 option.

Anyone got any idea what it is, where it came from or how I can get rid of it permanently, please?

Thanks.

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 0

Get yourself a copy of Process Explorer. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Start Process Explorer up and let it run in the background until the mystery popup appears. Don't close the popup, instead click the Target icon on Process Explorer's toolbar, (furthest icon to the right on mine) and drag it over the popup window. It will highlight the .exe file responsible for the popup in the Process Explorer window. Right click the filename, and select "Search Online" for information about that task - what software it belongs to etc. That will give you something to go on.

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Typical, isn't it? It'd gone before I could try the above suggestion, but I'll keep it in case it happens again.

Thank you

Like this post
The Bigmouth

Likes # 1

It's the Garmin Express application. Related to the map updating program.

Like this post  
exdragon

Likes # 1

The Bigmouth - oh, thank you! That makes sense, I downloaded the update but didn't install it yet.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...