We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

iTunes (on Windows XP) Burning Problem

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I haven't used iTunes on my computer for about two years. Now, someone has asked me to send him a CD with a few tunes on and when I attempted to do it. I hit a snag. Everything goes fine until it tells me to insert a disc. It then says it is checking the media, and then nothing happens at all.

I have noticed that it is not quite the same system as it was two years ago. But it seems simple enough. However there is probably something simple I am forgetting or maybe not.

The only other thing I have noticed is that whereas I used to have over three thousand tunes in my library, I now only have about a thousand. Getting in touch with Itunes seems impossible unless one has an Apple product. Mine is a desktop computer running Windows XP.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You don't need to use iTunes to burn the music. I haven't used XP for a while but your iTunes music tracks should be stored in an iTunes folder under My Music. You can then open them with Windows Media Player and burn from that or use another CD burning program.

Like this post  
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Is this happening just in itunes or can you not burn any disk?

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Woolwell, Fruit Bat, I have been messing about trying with other programs such as "Nero" and once again I get so far and no further. So I am beginning to think it may well be the CD drive or whatever it is called, that needs a clean? I have been looking for a cleaning disc I once owned to try that but can't find it. So will have to wait until tomorrow to get a new one from somewhere or other. I ran a check and was told it was o.k. but I am now doubting that.

So the answer to your query Fruit Bat is "No". I can't burn any disc at the moment. So I am retiring defeated for the night. It's getting near my bed time anyway. Thanks in advance, for anything you can come up with.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

CD will not write My computer - right click drive - select properties - recording tab - tick box "Enable CD recording on this drive"

CD-R drive or CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recordable device http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316529/

CD writing problems http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324129

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1 on desktop click start 2 select control panel 3 click on administrative tools 4 click on services 5 browse your way down to IMAPI CD BURNING COM SERVICE 6 right click (on IMAPI) then select properties 7 in the middle of the window it will say start up type.click on the arrow to the right and select disabled. 8 make sure you click APPLY you should notice that Nero starts alot faster aswell.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat. Thanks for the effort. I have just followed the instructions in both your mails and all to no avail. It still keeps telling me to "Please Insert A Blank Disc" ???

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

In device manager click the drive select properties,, are yiu seeing a recording tab?

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat. Sorry for delay, Not too well today, so went to bed for a couple of hours. I've got properties on the CD drive and yes, I am on the recording tab at the moment.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Does the drive see an ordinary data disk, DVD or CD with music on?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I had a similar problem only yesterday, putting some photos on DVD using Nero Pro for a friend who supplied her own discs - kept getting put a blank disc in drive (or words to that effect), after several unsuccessful attempts I used my own discs, hey presto no more problems.

So perhaps it is the discs at fault not the drive, either faulty discs or discs not actually empty!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite