We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

vista's default games folder and 'windows features' hanging

theDarkness
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have noticed that the default games folder keeps hanging for a few seconds. There is one game (non windows) that has a multiple copy in there. Im not sure if that could be related. I can hide any one of them, but that doesnt stop the folder from freezing.

I have tried to remove and then add the games folder through 'windows features' in the control panel, but I have noticed that it takes a very long time in listing and configuring its content. Any idea on the cause? Other than that, the system is working fine (I am not playing games). Thanks.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Not 100% sure about this but on windows XP I believe you could go into add remove.Windows programs and untick Windows games.

Reboot and go back to windows games and tick it again to reinstall it.

Maybe wait until that can be verified before trying it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

That should have been,Turn windows features off or on instead of windows programs.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

Windows Features shows on the left hand side of the control panel in vista, and took around 20 mins to update after I disabled windows games from the list. It doesnt fix the hanging after a restart. The games folder still shows with manually installed games only now present, and clicking on the folder is still causing it to hang. One game showing two icons is still present-tbh id like to know how to clear this folder entirely (without using the 'hide' option) without uninstalling anything. I will try re-enabling windows games, but I cant see it making a difference. Thanks anyway :)

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

update-I fixed my games explorer from hanging by simply removing the latest intel gfx driver. theres a guide here for the same issue in windows 7, it links to a possible microsoft fix.

There doesnt seem to be much I can do to speed up windows features from taking so long in listing its content, aside from turning off unneeded content and getting a faster hdd.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...