We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB devices not recognized by my laptop

ritag

Likes # 0

I have a Toshiba Satellite A660-13T latptop. Recently it stopped recognizing all USB devices. I have tried all 3 ports and different devices such as iPhone, USB key, mouse and an external hard drive. It charges my iPhone but it does not show up anywhere on the computer. I have tried: unistalling all the USB drives and rebooting, using a knoppix image cd to start my laptop on linux to see if it recognizes USB devices which it doesn't, running a full scan of my computer...(these are all suggestions from various people). I've had some problems with overheating so I fear that there may have been an internal 'melt-down' and it's a hardware, not a software issue but I just want to exhaust all options before I have to buy a new laptop...

Like this post
ritag

Likes # 0

and I forgot to mention I'm running Windows 7

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As it's a laptop back up all your documents to an external drive and then restore to factory settings. It might be a driver corruption. If heat is the problem then taking it to be repaired, might be cheaper, than buying new.

Having thought about it, it might not be.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/refurbished-laptops/703736670436xxxx/xx-criteria.html

Keep going to new pages on the site.

Just bought one for £299.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Forget the last link. Hmmm.

pc world refurbished lappys

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You'll save around £50 on retail.

Like this post
ritag

Likes # 0

Seeing as none of my USB ports work, backing up my computer is currently what I'm trying to do but am having difficulty with. I got CrashPlan to back it up online but it says it is going to take 20 days so I have to find a quicker method...burning DVDs might take quite some time too as I have about 300GB of stuff to back up...argh I'm going to to try and get a quote for how much it would cost to repair (if it's even possible) but am basically trying to see what my options are and otherwise start saving for a new laptop. Thanks for the link :)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

A repair will not guarrantee that your data will be safe, unfortunately.

Do you have another laptop/PC?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

To back it up looks like the fastest way, without USB ports working, would be to

network it to another machine via your router

or

remove the drive and either connect directly to a sata port on a PC or put it in a external case and connect via USB to another PC.

Usually uninstalling ALL items under the heading USB in device manager sorts the problem. The idea is to make sure all the USB enties in the registry have been removed

You could try

Remove all USB devices

Download and run USB device View

Uninstall ALL devices that are shown as not connected.

Reboot the machine.

Plug in your USB device and windows should then find new hardware and reinstall the drivers for the device.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I had this problem some years ago on my PC. and is worth a try. The suggestion I was given was, to remove every thing plugged in to the PC, in my case including the monitor, but on a laptop that is not possible. Remove the mains plug and the battery. Leave the laptop over night or longer if possible. The idea is sometimes a capacitor is not discharging correctly. Plug everything back in and boot up, hopefully that may cure the problem it did for me and I never had that problem again for some years until the PC was dispatched to that place where old PCs go. Goof luck.

Like this post
ritag

Likes # 0

rdave13: I don't but could borrow one..

Fruit Bat /\0/\: not sure how to network it but I can investigate this once I've borrowed another laptop. As for removing the drive, I have to ask someone to do that since I don't know how to. I've already tried unistalling several times and every time it reinstalls it after rebooting, the problem is still there. I will give your USB device view a try anyways :)

romanby1: I have not tried leaving my computer off and unplugged overnight. I will definitely try this just in case.

thank you guys :)I will try your suggestions :)

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

ritag. I didn't believe it would work at the time. You have nothing to loose only time and that is free.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...