We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Changing Browsers. Can I keep my e-mail address?

algey

Likes # 0

Hello

Am thinking of changing my browser from IE to Google chrome. Is it possible to keep my BT Yahoo e-mail address?

Thanks

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Browsers are only a means to go online. Chrome, on install, should ask if you want to import favourites from IE, so select yes. You can have IE open and Chrome open at the same time. If you want your home page the same in Chrome then copy your home page address in IE then paste in the address bar in Chrome. Go to the 'tools' section in Chrome (an icon like a blurry letter I believe) on top right then find out where it is to set the home page and insert the address.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If you want Yahoo as your home page in Chrome then use this link in Chrome.

You can have as many browsers as you like on your PC, it makes no difference if you use web mail.

Like this post
algey

Likes # 0

rdave13

Thanks very much for your early reply. Have had problems with IE (internet connection problems)and have experienced none with Google Chrome,and the only thing that has stopped me making it my default browser is having too change my e-mail address.

Again thank you.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I wouldn't make Chrome the default browser even though you now use it.

I don't know your Operating System but within Internet Explorer you can click on tools, internet options, click on the advanced tab at the top and you can then re-set Intenet Explorer. All your favourites (bookmarks) will be saved but you will need to re-enable your add-ons. I would do that a few at a time in case one of them is actually causing a problwm with Internet Explorer.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Just to put the counter point of view... :-) I've had Chrome as my default browser on all my machines pretty much since launch, and it's been entirely reliable. But: there are sites (like internal ones at work) that only work properly with IE, so I keep that installed just in case...

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I have one program that insists on having IE as the default browser or it will not update. It's a poor bit of programming but I have to put up with it. There is no need to make Chrome your default browser but it can be helpful but it depends on each person's set up.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad