We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Virgin Media Modem transfer to new owner

Peter Lanky

Likes # 0

I have sold a Virgin Modem (E08C013.00) on a well known auction site, but the buyer is telling me it isn't working. To quote the message:

"I have just spoken to Virgin Media and they said if the modem was received for your account that means its for your account only and rendered useless to anybody else because of the MAC address."

Personally I don't believe this to be true at all, but I don't quite know for certain with confidence. I don't know if this is a genuine problem or somebody trying it on, but I'd like to resolve the technical issue first before having sent back.

Any advice please?

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

contact virgin if it is founded or unfounded

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

As far as I know Virgin Modems are the property of Virgin Media and you only rent them.

Virgin Media do pair the modem mac number to the account preventing it from being used by someone else if stolen.

I cannot understand why anyone would want to buy a Virgin Media Modem as it would only be useful with a Virgin Media account and would be replaced free of charge if found faulty.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post
Peter Lanky

Likes # 0

Mmh, what a pain. No idea why anyone would buy it, but I put it up for sale (and somebody did), with the knowledge that people have been known to buy all sorts of obscure items.

I suppose it would have been more helpful had Virgin told me to bin it rather than telling me to 'do whatever I wished' with it when I got a Super Hub.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

i can definitely confirm peter you cannot sell a virgin cable modem because of the reasons given above im actually surprised they havent asked for it returning because it is as brynit pointed out "rented"

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

They're still selling them. I note that some have a 'no return' policy.link. I also noticed that the 'chipped' versions have been removed.

mart7 , Virgin said " 'do whatever I wished' with it".

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK