We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

static IP address

Newuser007

Likes # 0

Hi can you please tell me if all ISP are changing to static IP address ? as mine has now gone this way with out telling any body or is this so big brother is now watching us all

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Makes life much easier but more wire needed, so with the arrival of optical fibre it get easier to have static IP addresses.

I have been with Virgin fibre and have had the same IP address for the last 5 years - I have had the same house for 25 years and that doesn't change address either!

Like this post
Newuser007

Likes # 0

yes it may make is easier but some of the ip address from when it was Dynamically have been blocked for spam emails if you get one of them and is just hard luck as my isp said this your ip and you will have to wait till they get it unblocked and how long that will take

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Hi can you please tell me if all ISP are changing to static IP address ?"

I'm sure that's not the case.

If you don't intend running a mail, FTP, or gaming server, or have no use for Windows Remote Desktop or similar, then you don't need a static IP address.

Your IP address is sent with every webpage request you make, and probably all your e-mails too, so if you have a static address then you're more vulnerable because a hacker could launch prolonged and sustained hacking attempts once they know your address. However, the average router should block those intrusion attempts.

If you're concerned about security (and your privacy) then get in touch with your ISP and ask them for a dynamic address.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I am not saying that its the right or correct way, but if you are really concerned, then there are some methods and download programs, that 'might' mask your address from the less professional. Perhaps similar to Do Not Track programs, but with a bit more edge on them?.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Wiz - King

Why do you need more wire?

IPv4 results in dynamic addressing due to the limited number of addresses available.

IPv6 will bring a static IP addressing as it will bring billions more addresses.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote