We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Need help with new Outlook.com

countrygirl5

Likes # 0

I literally have a continuous headache from all this ridiculousness regarding the "upgrade" (which is really a "downgrade") of Hotmail to Outlook.

I have searched and searched through the forums on Microsoft, and of course, have not found any sufficient answers. All I can find is moderators who avoid what the users are asking and only give answers that have nothing to do with the actual problem the user has posted about. It is beyond frustrating.

So, here I am, hoping someone on this site can help.

Obviously, until Microsoft has enough users complain and/or switch services, I can't do anything to change the "update" they forced us to make. So, I might as well try to find answers to some of the actual issues that I think there might be a solution to.

When I first logged into my email today, Outlook was automatically receiving new emails (showing the number of new messages beside "Outlook" on the title of the window), but soon after, it quit. Now, I have to click the refresh icon in the Inbox just to know if I have any new message or not. As I said, this was working correctly when I first logged into Outlook. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I'm using Internet Explorer 9 and do not know of any plugins that would be contributing to the problem.

Also, is there a way to get rid of that "Add to Contacts" box that pops up at the bottom of your Inbox every time you send a message to someone not in your Contacts? The only way I can figure out how to get rid of it is refresh the page.

As for the automatic Messenger sign-in, I've found a half-working solution to that (adding the geo/gateway link to Restricted Sites), but if anyone has any tips on how to fully disable that, please let me know.

Thanks for all your help! I'm sure you'll be more of a help than Microsoft ever has been.

Like this post
countrygirl5

Likes # 0

After searching and searching some more, I came across a post stating something about notifications only working with Messenger. So, I went and removed the blocked sites from the Restricted Sites tab and now notifications work. But, this also means that Messenger is no longer disabled.

These are the 3 links I had in Restricted Sites....

gateway.messenger.live.com geo.gateway.messenger.live.com geo.messenger.services.live.com

Does anyone know if there is a way to at least halfway disable Messenger (like I was before) and still receive new mail notifications? Notifications being the "Outlook (2)" that pops up as the title on the window bar when you have 2 new messages.

Thanks for any help! :)

Like this post
countrygirl5

Likes # 0

Again, thanks for the help.

*Sorry for this additional post, but I can't find another way to subscribe to the thread other than reposting with a checkmark by the subscribe option.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Can't help with the Outlook.com jiggery-pokery but you don't need to put a checkmark tick in the 'Subscribe' box - that is just for others (who may or may not have posted a response) to use so that they will get an email notification that someone has posted a response. As the thread owner you should be getting a notification anyway.

You and everyone else only need to click on 'Post' to have your 'Reply to this topic' response posted on the thread.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Have you tried signing in to Outlook.com and then pinning it to your taskbar by dragging the icon to the left of the url address?

Like this post
countrygirl5

Likes # 0

Thank you for letting me know about the thread subscription process.

As for the taskbar, do you think that would only still work with Messenger enabled? I've discovered the notification works as long as Messenger is enabled. I just wish I could find a way to make it work with Messenger being at least somewhat disabled.

Thanks for the help, btw. :)

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

The post that I read about pinning it to the taskbar said that it worked with Messenger disabled - you have nothing to lose by trying it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added