We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

iPad - further remarks and questions

john bunyan
Resolved

Likes # 0

I ams Newbie iPad 4 user. . I had difficulty updating to v 6.1.3 (I think) It kept telling me I was not connected to the internet, even though I was. Solved it in the end by closing all apps. A grand daughter is off to work in Greece shortly as a water sports instructor with a tour operator. She has a Nexus 7 tablet. Her sister has a 7" Samsung. The iPad suggests their "Facetime" for internet video calls, but Skype is more universal. Does anyone have a view as to whether there is a iTunes app for Skype and how good it is? Alternatively can Facetime work on non Apple tablets?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

1. Updates - that can happen with some firewalls. I used to get that and had to turn off my firewall. The problem has gone for me. One way is to download the update only and then install but it is some time since I did that.

2. Facetime is Apple only eg iPhone to iPad, iPad to iPad or to a Mac. It is actually quite good and I have found it better than Skype but limited to who you can call.

3. Skype is a available as an app. It works quite well and you can switch between front and back camera. This is very handy if you want to show someone a room or scenery.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Ps I don't think that either Facetime or Skype works with 3G or 4G - wifi only but I may be wrong.

Have you tried messaging to other Apple users?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Oops - Just re-read your post. I guess you updated over wifi. I try to avoid that as I prefer the security of USB and a full backup. However I may be old fashioned and being unnecessarily cautious.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Thanks, as usual, for speedy reply. With iPods in the past I have always updated in iTunes on the usual way. I had not realised that the iOS 6 came via that route, and I did, indeed update via WiFi as the pad indicated an update was available.

Re Synching, I also always kept a music and other things like apps on the main PC and manually synched so as to avoid the same apps or tunes going to different iPods and the iPad. If you buy an app or tune direct to the iPad, I know it is kept in the Cloud, but I hope it reverse synchs when I attach it to the PC via USB?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

PS Correct, I only have a WiFi version. Will try Skype as the grandchildren use it and have non Apple tabs.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It reverse syncs.

I find Skype better on my iPad than on my desktop. Perhaps because I can wander around with it and show my son the dog, etc.

Like this post  
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

No way to speak of your wife!

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

otl1: LOL! (Bad boy)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Typical crab! Cannot recognise a Labrador.

onthelimit1 - good to see you on form.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...