We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

missing USB icons in computer

surfer47
Resolved

Likes # 0

When I go to Computer I used to see all the USB icons but these have now vanished and now when I insert a USB nothing happens. What has gone wrong? Regards

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Look in device manager any exclamation marks against the USB drivers?

Usual method is to Uninstall ALL USB drivers and reboot but tis can be problematic if you have a USB keyboard and mouse.

Like this post
surfer47

Likes # 0

I had a look and there are no exclamation marks, I have 6, 2 enhanced controllers, 1 composite device, 1 mass storage device, and 8 root hubs. I also have a USB connection on my keyboard and mouse, You seem to think this is a problem, how much?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If you uninstall mouse / keyboard first then you cannot uninstall rest.

So its always difficult to find which hub controls them to uninstall last

Like this post
surfer47

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat. Thanks for coming back. Could I have a driver problem. I keep getting pop ups "Your drivers are out of date do you wish to update" I don't know where this comes from so I ignore it.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Drivers

If it ain't broke don't fix it

Normally no-one should ever have to update drivers

Updating drivers is only needed

If you have a hardware problem

or are trying to erk out a last ditch ounce of performance from a machine.

All drivers can be obtained free

Most things trying to tell you to update drivers will point you to a site that wants you to pay for a driver you could get free from the manufacturer's web site.

This sort of scam ware can often be downloaded packaged in with something else you downloaded and installed without, savy downloaders will always select the custom install / untick all the pre ticked boxes in an install package. :0)

Scan for spyware / malware with something like Malwarebytes or Super Antispyware (SAS) again these are free (unless you really want the pro version) the free versions are good enough for home users.

If you have a login set and you uninstall the keyboard you may not beable to enter a password if the keyboard driver is removed (no problem if you have or can borrow a PS2 keyboard)

If you do not have a password / login set for your machine uninstall all the items under USB reboot the machine and windows will reload all the drivers as it logs back in or when you reconnect the device.

Like this post
surfer47

Likes # 0

I have other problems with my PC so I think I will have to got for re-format. See new thread

Like this post
surfer47

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the advise. In the end I elected for Restore To Factory Settings.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks