We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Baffled by corrupt audio downloads

ui_maine

Likes # 0

In the last 10 days or so, for no reason I can think of, I've been having download problems. Any podcast or music I download comes out corrupted, i.e. choppy like a scratched CD. This happens no matter which of various sites I'm downloading from, so it's not a problem connected to just iTunes or just the BBC or whatever.

So far, I have:

• reset Firefox
  • tried using a different browser
  • run full scans for virus, spyware, and malware infections
  • run checkdisk and a memory diagnostic
  • tweaked and finally uninstalled Quicktime
  • tried downloading to a different destination

None of this has done the job.

Also, Steam cannot seem to download the new Skyrim patch for me. It keeps suspending the download, and says I have a 0 bytes download rate. Speedtest.net shows my up- and download rates as being their normal selves, and pingtest.net gave me an A grade, with 0% packet loss. I'm completely stumped, this doesn't seem to make any sense. I cannot face the prospect of commuting every day without podcasts and music to get me through - please help!

Like this post
ui_maine

Likes # 0

Bumping. My need is great.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have you checked your download speed?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Have you tried playing those music files on another computer or device to confirm that they really are corrupt?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I should pay more attention, sorry. Speed is OK. Puzzled why you can't download from Steam. Is it the same when streaming?

Like this post
ui_maine

Likes # 0

That's another weird factor rdave - streamed video seems unaffected. I have watched both live streams and video downloads today, and both were 100% fine. I'm going to listen to so streamed music right now, and will report back. REPORT: Yep, that worked fine. I guess that's good news, but if anything it confuses things even more.

Mr Squirrel, yes - I basically use the computer as a conduit for podcasts and music, which I then listen to while commuting to/from work. When a download is corrupt on my mp3 player, it is corrupt in exactly the same place and the same way as when I listen back to it on the PC.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Streaming ok suggests the temp folder is ok. What browser are you using to download? Try another browser.

Like this post
ui_maine

Likes # 0

I did try that already. I use Firefox as a rule, but tried Chrome - the problem still occurred.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

A shot in the dark here, the default folder is C:\Users(user-name)\Downloads. Try creating another folder on a different drive and call it DOWNLOAD2 or similar. In FF, options, general tab, point to the DOWNLOAD2 folder by the browsing tab. Try downloading files again. If it makes no difference you can change back to the default folder again.

Like this post
m800afc

Likes # 0

Bump I have this problem as well.

Like this post
m800afc

Likes # 0

Bump

I have this problem as well.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 10 most ridiculously opulent, mega expensive and utterly stupid gadgets you can't afford

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Free QuarkXPress update offers redlining, notes and image enhancement