We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP HELP RE INSTALLATION

eysha1

Likes # 0

Long story cut short. My friend who is now 75 is having computer problems with his XP machine. It is running extremely slow, taking around 20 mins to get onto Google he tells me. It was a reconditioned machine when he got it and he has had it around 4 years now. The hard drive has never been wiped and could be the original hard drive. I went to visit him and cleaned the rubbish out of the computer which he didn't know how to do so i got a few gigs back. I am thinking it might be best to wipe the hard drive and reinstall XP but he only has a recovery disk from the people/firm who sold the computer and it is a support disk, not sure if it has XP on and not sure if it has a license number on it either and i don't want to risk wiping it if there is no proper re-install disk. Is there a way to make a recovery disk from the computer and will it have a license number on it? Also if i can do that how do i do it? I won't be able to keep asking on here if i get stuck as he lives a distance away and there won't be a computer to ask on so instructions please along with advice. It is an E machine if you know what that is with an 80 gig hard drive and used by his grand children for games when they visit. Thanks in advance. E

• Tags:
  • xp
Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I've used Double Driver successfully in the past, how to, don't click the green download tab!

Download here.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Double Driver

Product type: Runs as a stand-alone program on a user's computer

Pros: Simple interface. Very easy to use. Can backup drivers from an offline system. Backs up phantom devices. Option to save list of installed drivers in text file. Fast restoration of drivers.

Cons: None. Developers website: http://www.boozet.org/dd.htm

Download page: http://www.boozet.org/download.htm Version: 4.1

Download file size: 2.06 MB 64 Bit compatibility: 32 bit but 64 bit compatible

License type: Unrestricted freeware Portable version available: This product is portable.

System requirements: Windows XP/Vista/7

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Just to report back. So far I have run CCleaner and maleware and spywear etc to clean the computer of rubbish, I hope. Still running slow. Kids games were run by both internet and disk. I tried to clean start-up, left only spywear/safety stuff/programmes like superantispywear etc plus services like THOLKEY, SYNTPENH, RTHOCPL, ZCFGSUK, DLACTRLW,AGRSMMSG, MSSECES, CTFMON and Windows desk top and checked apply. when it restarts it goes back to how it was, what did I do wrong? Wont get back to his house this week unfortunately as he lives a distance away but this is on going for me. Pleased my question is helping others too. Thanks for all the help. E

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Is this a laptop? what e machines model?

How much RAM does it have? if its short on HDD space then that will slow it down.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Been a while now i know but not been able to get to his house to sort the problem out. Should get there tomorrow all being well. His machine is a computer not a laptop. He told me his son bought it for his as a reconditioned model about four years ago. He knows nothing about computers and mainly uses it for the internet, he is not a games player and likes to keep things simple. I don't know what memory he has in it as yet but i know the hard drive has tons of space as he has very few programs on it. I really don't want to re-install windows XP in case i mess things up not being that good with computers myself as you know so just hoping to clean it up a bit. i have copies and pasted all your instructions to print out and take with me - the easy clean up ones only. I did do a msconfig but it has gone back to its original state so i obviously did something wrong - can you explain how to do that again for me? I unticked the ones not wanted and applied and said ok and closed it to restart the computer. it then asked me did i want to start it in normal something or other, forgot now after all this time. i said yes so maybe that was the fault. what did i do wrong? i guess if i cannot get it cleaned up without reinstalling xp i will see if he will take it somewhere to get it done properly as doing that worries me. I have my old XP disk with license number etc and won't use it again but the installation bit bothers me. Anyway will try the simple things first and cross my fingers. Should get it sorted tomorrow hopefully but he did tell me that downloading a photo from his e-mail took his 20 minuets so not good and the internet is slow. I did tell him to run all his malewear/spywear/ccleaner progs and he said he did but no change. what do you think? Thanks in advance. E

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If short on memory or disk space or running in PIO mode then everything will be very slow.

Good luck

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit-Bat. He had to go to the doctors today so my visit is off till next week now.

Anyway I must have done the msconfig wrong as it has gone back to its original state so can you explain how i do it properly and keep the new settings after unticking all the things not wanted please? Thanks Fruit-Bat. E.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I wouldn't use MSconfig I would do it using CCleaner - Tools -Startup

It will list everything that runs at startup you can disable or enable

gives you a chance to disable something reboot see what doesn't work and re-enable if you needed it.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit-Bat, will do that. E

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...