We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

help with windows 7 key

colinlisa

Likes # 0

hi all I am trying to reinstall windows on a laptop but the key is worn out so I cant make all of it out please could someone take a look at the pic I have uploaded I have blanked out the readable parts many thanks in advance

enter link description here

Like this post
colinlisa

Likes # 0

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

If you are using the HP factory recovery disks, From this Click here

As far as I know, a product key is not necessary when using the HP factory recovery disks. I have never had to enter a product key when using them.

and

Thanks, you were right, with the HP recovery disks I did not need the Product Key as you suggested.

Like this post
colinlisa

Likes # 0

im not paying for recovery media when i have a valid key just need some help reading it

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Have you reinstalled Windows 7 without making sure you had the the number before hand. If not then use this. SIW. scroll down for the old free edition. Click on Licenses / Passwords / secrets to find the windows product key.

Like this post
colinlisa

Likes # 0

i thought of that but like an idiot i reistalled then checked the key no it needs activating lol

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Has your product key been typed in before for activation or was it pre-installed. If it has been typed in before then you may be able to find it via Belarc.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I have had a go.

First. 23

Second. 33

Third. CP

Fourth.Y6TK6

Fifth. JXXHJ

But it really does not matter if it does not work, it never does on mine when I do an reinstall and I know the number. It will ask you if you want to activate via phone, so pick UK and follow the instructions. Sorted.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'im not paying for recovery media'

It's not something you need to pay for. The laptop should have prompted you to burn recovery media when you first turned it on. If you didn't, then the phone option is your best bet.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

P.S. - Why on earth do the manufacturers not put the sticker inside the battery compartment?!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"i reistalled then checked the key"

Please can you explain how you reinstalled?

Note for general info: The factory pre-activated product key (no key is asked for when using recovery media) cannot be used for install from an ordinary DVD where you are required to type in the key. (it won't work) The key you get on the sticker is a different key and usually requires phone activation.

If you have not wiped the files you may be able to do a 'back to factory restore' from partition on harddrive.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......