We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

not the normal slow PC question, becomes unusable quickly

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all, I have an old Sony Vaio, P4 2.8 XPhome. Used primarily as a monitor for CCTV. Worked fine for years. I also use it as a back up PC and my daughter has recently been using it for normal things, web browsing, banking, facebook etc. About a month back it started to become noticeably slow. Now from bootup it will take 1 to 2hrs before it becomes unusable, reboot and it is fine again for a few hrs. Tried everything I could think of including another Hdd with a new instal of XP Pro, still the same problem. memory a bit on the small side at 512 but I would have thought that was enough for what is required. Also has the same problem if I take the CCTV out of the equation. Has to be hardware in my opinion but need help please.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks to both. Will these do, assuming that they work, I only had a few minutes to bid so took a chance.

4 x 512Mb DDR RAM Memory Modules, PC 2700 & PC3200

Seller information simonskiii (635 ) 100% Positive Feedback Save this seller See other items Item condition:Used Ended: 30 Mar, 2013 16:26:25 GMT Winning bid:£1.20 [ 2 bids ] Add to list

Collect Nectar points | Conditions Postage: £3.00 Standard Delivery | See details

Item location: Derby, United Kingdom

Post to: United Kingdom Delivery: Estimated within 3-4 working days
Payments: | See payment information Returns: Returns accepted | Read details

Print | Report item DescriptionPostage and payments

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Will these do,.........4 x 512Mb DDR RAM Memory Modules, PC 2700 & PC3200"

That's no where near enough info to tell whether they're compatible or not. Because they're a mixture of two different speeds, the PC will operate at the slowest (PC2700) speed (that's if they work at all).

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

As I said I took a chance. Bought them before I had your further advice or I would have got the ones you recommended from crucial. No rush so I will see what turns up, no great loss anyway so worth a try I thought. I will post the outcome when I get them. Once again many thanks for your help and advice.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel and rdave13, sometimes postings can be misinterpreted. Both of you have been very helpful. It is only the fact that I had already bought the other ones so may as well try them. I was not disregarding your valid suggestions. Just posting this to clarify.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

No worries Bumpkin.

When I posted those Crucial tips I wasn't certain whether you'd ordered the RAM from eBay. If it does the job then it'll be the bargain of the century :)

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi again, I now have the memory cards. A mixed bag as you thought Secret-Squirrel. They all seem to work though so including my original 2 I now have 6. Can you advise on the best combination for speed please.

2x 256 400M 3200 2X 512 333M 2700 2X 512 400M 3200

thanks

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Hi Bumpkin

I think the optimum configuration would be to keep the original 256MB PC3200 modules and add the two 512MB PC3200 ones giving you 1.5GB of faster RAM.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

That was my opinion too, 1.5GB of memory is plenty my purposes, the speed being more important than capacity. I put the cards in earlier and the difference is amazing, so quick now, a pleasure to use. Looks like I got lucky for once.

Again thank you very much for your help and will close now if the tick works.

Ray

Like this post  
rdave13

Likes # 0

Just my opinion this. For speed (read/write) then Secret Squirrel is right. Try out how it works. See if the improvement is better by a decent margin.

For work load I would also try using the four 512 MB sticks in the paired sockets running at the lower speed. You will either have colour coded ram slots or need to see your mobo's manual for info on pairing the ram.

Nothing stopping you trying out both suggestions.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Must remember to refresh.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home