We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

not the normal slow PC question, becomes unusable quickly

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all, I have an old Sony Vaio, P4 2.8 XPhome. Used primarily as a monitor for CCTV. Worked fine for years. I also use it as a back up PC and my daughter has recently been using it for normal things, web browsing, banking, facebook etc. About a month back it started to become noticeably slow. Now from bootup it will take 1 to 2hrs before it becomes unusable, reboot and it is fine again for a few hrs. Tried everything I could think of including another Hdd with a new instal of XP Pro, still the same problem. memory a bit on the small side at 512 but I would have thought that was enough for what is required. Also has the same problem if I take the CCTV out of the equation. Has to be hardware in my opinion but need help please.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Ok, using the problem machine now to post this. IE still would not connect so using Chrome now. Fine but where is the paste option? or how do I do it a flash drive or should I just tell what it basically says.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Crucial scan says, VAIO-RS400 Series (4 DIMM Slots) DDR PC 2700, DDR PC 3200 Maximum memory 2GB. Shows a diagram with 4 slots, two of which have 256MB DDR PC3200 and " showing empty.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Usually you highlight first what you need to copy then right click and select copy, open notepad and paste. Save as (name it) and save to desktop.

Insert the flash drive and copy over. Go to good PC and copy to desktop.

Right click, copy and post here.

Or just tell what it basically says.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

bumpkin so you can't upgrade your ram more than 2 gig. I still recommend opening the case to see how many ram slot you have. You will need to open it to upgrade your ram anyway.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

rdave13, 4 slots I had a look earlier when I was checking the memory type.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Good. Then I recommend what Crucial shows the memory type to use. You can use two 1 gig ram modules in sockets 0 and 2, leaving the others empty or a combination of lesser ram modules. Run the crucial scan again and (I would select the cheapest) select your option. They recommend buying 'pairs' of ram modules as opposed to 'adding to' originals.

Good luck.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Bumpkin,

" Fine but where is the paste option?"

Just right-click again and choose paste to insert the copied URL (web address) into your reply here. Have another go at it please.

Dave,

"Usually you highlight first what you need to copy then right click and select copy, open notepad and paste. Save as (name it) and save to desktop."

I'm not sure what you're getting at there but let me explain a bit more. When the Crucial scan finishes it displays its results in a browser window. The URL in the Address Bar is unique to the scan, and by pasting it here, we can get to see the scan results, options, prices, and recommendations too.

By the way Bumpkin, did you actually purchase those RAM modules you saw on eBay last night?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

2GB kit (1GBx2)
DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64 • • Part #: CT445277

Secret-Squirrel , just copy and paste the info I meant. Posting the link is better. :) Not too expensive either.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Thanks for the link Bumpkin.

If you click the View Quick Configurations link top-right you'll see that Crucial are recommending that you keep your existing RAM and add two 512MB PC3200 modules for £26.38 inc VAT & postage. 1.5GB of RAM for the average XP PC is more than enough.

Crucial are very good with returns when you order RAM via their scanner so if their recommendation causes problems (or simply doesn't work) then you'll get your money back.

Dave, why are you suggesting slower PC2700 modules when the OP's PC can take PC3200? It's not like they're any cheaper either.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......