We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

not the normal slow PC question, becomes unusable quickly

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all, I have an old Sony Vaio, P4 2.8 XPhome. Used primarily as a monitor for CCTV. Worked fine for years. I also use it as a back up PC and my daughter has recently been using it for normal things, web browsing, banking, facebook etc. About a month back it started to become noticeably slow. Now from bootup it will take 1 to 2hrs before it becomes unusable, reboot and it is fine again for a few hrs. Tried everything I could think of including another Hdd with a new instal of XP Pro, still the same problem. memory a bit on the small side at 512 but I would have thought that was enough for what is required. Also has the same problem if I take the CCTV out of the equation. Has to be hardware in my opinion but need help please.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Secret-Squirrel, please see my 5.05pm posting, I thought that was the info you required ref processes but I did not explain very well. Memory info Total 523628, Available 335860, system cache 282836."

Thanks yet again for all that info but that's from the Performance section.

The memory info I now need to help further with the diagnosis is to be found under the Processes tab. Have another look at yesterday's (Friday's) post from 4:15pm, and in particular step #3. All you need to do is to resort the entries in the list by Mem Usage and post the names of the processes that are using the most memory and how much memory they're consuming. Make sure you only do this when your PC's suffering from one of its slowdowns.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Secret-Quirrel, the memory information at last, sorry about that I misunderstood you my fault. There is only one that stands out like a sore thumb "firefox.exe" memory usage varies a lot but often over 400,000K

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Thanks for that.

The obvious thing to suggest is to try a different web browser if Firefox is using nearly 80% of your PC's RAM. Unfortunately, we haven't found any other culprits which is what I was hoping for.

With all the info you've provided, that PC would benefit greatly from a memory upgrade. If you're really fortunate it may cost less than £20 to add an extra 1GB - although memory for really old PCs can be prohibitively expensive. I can't promise that it'll be a complete cure but there should be a noticeable improvement.

Are you comfortable opening up the PC to fit extra memory? If you are then I can offer some more suggestions.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks for getting back so soon. I have removed Firefox and re-installed it but still the same thing occurs. I will use a different browser but am curious as to what is happening here, Firefox will run up as it should then suddenly stop working properly and start devouring masses of memory, it seems to happen at random.

The only other thing which goes a bit high is RaUI.exe but only about 40,000K on occasions.

Remove Firefox and add more memory seems like the answer. I was having a look on ebay for some memory cards, only found one seller with DDR 512MB there was only a few minutes left to bid, no time to check properly but they looked like they were ok and 4 of them for less than a fiver I thought worth the chance. Using SIW to look at memory it says Maximum capacity 4096MB, Maximum Module size 512, 4 slots. so how does that work out.

I am quite happy dealing with PC's including dismantling and rebuilding.

Sometimes there is something that I just can't get to work out hence my original posting

Many thanks for your on going help and advice.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

" Using SIW to look at memory it says Maximum capacity 4096MB, Maximum Module size 512, 4 slots. so how does that work out."

I agree - there's something not quite right there ;)

I was going to suggest running the Crucial System Scanner to view your upgrade options. Run the scanner on the problem PC, and when the webpage opens with the results, left click once in the Address Bar to highlight the URL, right-click on it, choose "Copy" then paste it here so I can see that report too.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Suggest you open the case and have a physical check on the amount of slots for ram. Crucial and SIW gets it wrong at times but the ram will be correct. You might need two 2gig ram modules in two slots.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi again, I am trying to post the crucial results but the other PC now using Explorer won't connect to this site. Bear with me, I will try and sort it after reboot.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Use a usb flash drive.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Said IE cannot open this site, aborted. Rebooted it and it started as far as the windows logo, now the cursor wont move. This is the sort of problems I am having. Cold reboot I suppose and will post back.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'd give it time to boot. The less you use a 'Cold reboot' the better in my opinion.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......