We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

not the normal slow PC question, becomes unusable quickly

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all, I have an old Sony Vaio, P4 2.8 XPhome. Used primarily as a monitor for CCTV. Worked fine for years. I also use it as a back up PC and my daughter has recently been using it for normal things, web browsing, banking, facebook etc. About a month back it started to become noticeably slow. Now from bootup it will take 1 to 2hrs before it becomes unusable, reboot and it is fine again for a few hrs. Tried everything I could think of including another Hdd with a new instal of XP Pro, still the same problem. memory a bit on the small side at 512 but I would have thought that was enough for what is required. Also has the same problem if I take the CCTV out of the equation. Has to be hardware in my opinion but need help please.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Thanks for that Bumpkin.

I can see from those results that your PC's performance is seriously affected.

The CPU is maxed out and your PC has run out of real RAM and is now using your hard disk as virtual memory (which will slow things down dramatically). Actually when you posted at 13:50 the PC had just run out of RAM. At its peak your PC was using 1.2GB, so with the 512MB that's fitted, you can probably appreciate why it's performing so poorly.

We now need to find what's hogging all those CPU cycles and consuming so much RAM:

1) Still in Task Manager, click the "Processes" tab.

2) Click the CPU column heading once or twice so the busiest processes are at the top. Report back the names of the processes that are using most of the CPU. Ignore the "System Idle Process" as that's the opposite of busy.

3) Likewise, click the Mem Usage column to sort by the most memory hungry processes and post back the names of the greediest and their values.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks Secret-Squirrel,

DSR.exe using around 50% (That is the CCTV system)

services.exe about 15%

RtWLan.exe up to about 15%

you said ignore system idle but it is saying around 30 to 40% just in case this has some relevance.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Forgot to mention that is when nobody is trying to run anything else.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

The memory information I asked for is really important so don't forget to post the details.

Remember that the info's only useful when the PC has slowed down to the point of being unusable. If you've since rebooted then wait for it to occur again.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

It seems very erratic, now OK again, I run it 24hrs and can guarantee that at some point it will become unusable, can't even shut it down without power off.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

The total memory figure seems to remain the same at 523628, Available is about 202700,cache about 96k. Been running a few hours now and is starting to play up as it does. Task manager I can't even bring up on the screen now. OK so now got Task Manager up after shutting down CCTV, only briefly now gone again and I can't now load the CCTV, can't get internet or open most programs. These are the sort of problems I am getting but I cannot think of any reason. Tending to think PSU but then may as well send it to the big PC graveyard in the sky.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

MAJOR ERROR THERE MEANT CPU NOT PSU

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

cannot remember have you been asked how much free space does the hard drive with os on it have

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Bumpkin, I don't think there's anything wrong with your CPU.

From what you've posted so far, it looks like the PC's problems are all being caused by seriously insufficient RAM for what's being asked of it.

The next thing you need to do is to provide the memory info I've asked for from the Processes section of Task Manager. If we can identify a rogue process then there may be something that can be done instead of simply adding more memory.

If you need to reboot the PC then do so but on restart open Task Manager and leave it on the screen.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel, please see my 5.05pm posting, I thought that was the info you required ref processes but I did not explain very well. Memory info Total 523628, Available 335860, system cache 282836.

Woodchip, 131GB free space.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony PlayStation 5 release date, price and specs UK: When is the PS5 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV release date rumours, features: 'new Apple TV next week' rumour

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow