We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

not the normal slow PC question, becomes unusable quickly

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all, I have an old Sony Vaio, P4 2.8 XPhome. Used primarily as a monitor for CCTV. Worked fine for years. I also use it as a back up PC and my daughter has recently been using it for normal things, web browsing, banking, facebook etc. About a month back it started to become noticeably slow. Now from bootup it will take 1 to 2hrs before it becomes unusable, reboot and it is fine again for a few hrs. Tried everything I could think of including another Hdd with a new instal of XP Pro, still the same problem. memory a bit on the small side at 512 but I would have thought that was enough for what is required. Also has the same problem if I take the CCTV out of the equation. Has to be hardware in my opinion but need help please.

Like this post
Algerian peter ™

Likes # 0

Windows XP blimey.

If I can remember ;-)

Go to device manager and select disk drives. Under properties, I think, see what mode it is running. It should say UDMA or PIO.

UDMA is fastest and PIO is very slow.

Like this post
Algerian peter ™

Likes # 0

This might help to check the drives.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks, in device manager I have 5 options, general, policies, volumes, driver, details. I cannot find any reference to UDMA or PIO.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi again, have done as suggested in your link as a work around, both drives now UDMA after restart. I can't say if that has worked until it has been running for a while, thanks for your help, hope it sorts it.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

No problem with XP but:

How full is the Hard Drive?

When did you last Defrag?

What AV are you using?

What Firewall are you using?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

After fitting new Hard Drive did you load and Image or backed up files? if so you may have reloaded malaware or virus

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Bumpkin, XP's Task Manager is a useful tool in diagnosing performance issues. If we can pinpoint the exact cause then it'll make fixing the problem a lot easier and quicker. The next time it slows down to the point of being unusable, do this:

1) Open Task Manager and click the "Performance" tab. Look at the "CPU Usage" graph and report back whether it's showing the usual ~5% when idle or constantly busy close to 100%.

2) In the "Physical Memory (K)" section let us know what it says for Total.

3) In the "Commit Charge (K) section report back the values for Total and Peak.

If I notice something significant in your findings then I'll tell you what you need to do next.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi again, sorry for the delay. wee eddie, there are 2 drives one XP Home and one XP Pro, neither more than 20% used. Problem occurs whichever one I boot from. Comodo AV and firewall. Woodchip, I just loaded the OS XP Pro and a few bits from the net, Firefox, Comodo, etc. Ran Comodo AV and malwarebytes, nothing found. Secret Squirrel, I have just re-booted it, will do as you suggest when it starts to play up again. Thanks all.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel, been running now for about an hour and a half, booted from XP pro HDD. Working fine at the moment (Murphy's Law). Here are the figures from task manager at present, I will post any significant change when it starts to malfunction assuming I can still access Task Manager.

CPU usage idle 8% to 30%

CPU usage when running CCTV system 70% to 85% with occasional peaks up to 100%

Memory 523628

Commit Charge. Total 524760. Peak 879596.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Now starting to slow down.

CPU usage 90% to 100% most of the time .

Commit peak 1202760. Total 727456.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes