We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Reformatted windows vista.. now my pc just switches off.

matty-86

Likes # 0

Hi i reformatted my computer windows vista premium now when i switch the computer on it ran fine at first and i installed the drivers that came with the original computer when buying it for the motherboard (foxconn)

Now it seems to just switch off not shut down it just goes off like a power cut. when i switch it on it will sometimes do it again after the initial black screen comes up sometimes it might boot up ok for a few mins.

It was ok earlier today before the reformat i am trying to now install windows updates but it keeps going off.

any what it could be? and how to fix it.

thanks matt

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I presume it is a Desktop (if not then let us know if Laptop/Notebook)

For testing purposes, disconnect the harddrive and any devices attached via usb (printer etc) now switch it on and see if the BIOS screen come up. It should get to the stage where it tells you 'No bootable device found' (when you want to switch off hold in the Power button for about 10 seconds and it will power down)

Let us know if you get it to that stage and leave it on for about 10 mins to make sure it is stable.

Whilst side is off pc and you are testing look to make sure all fans are working.

This will eliminate any problems with the harddrive and Vista install.

If pc still switches itself off, then try reseating the ram memory sticks, they may have worked loose, as could any other bits and cables so that is next thing to check. While you are in there, clean out any fluff and dust.

Safety note: DO NOT touch anything or try to clean while there is power to pc, unplug at mains socket first.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

For testing purposes, disconnect the harddrive and any devices attached via usb leave the keyboard and mouse attached (sorry for missing that bit out)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

i installed the drivers that came with the original computer when buying it for the motherboard (foxconn)

Are you saying it now has a different motherboard?

old drivers for old board will not suit a different motherboard thats why it switches off

uninstall all the drivers and download (on a different machine the drivers to suit your new motherboard) you should then beable to transfer across by usb stick or even burn to a cd if necessary.

Like this post
matty-86

Likes # 0

Hi no its the same motherboard in there since it was built nothing has been changed.

lotvic..

thanks i will try that now. it is a desktop yes.

matty

Like this post
matty-86

Likes # 0

Hi,

Just disconnected the hard drive from computer and switched it on disconnected all internet printer usb leads speakers etc. its loaded to the foxconn sign because it has a foxconn motherboard. then after that a message saying.

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

as i was typing this message back as asked u said leave it for 10 mins to see if its stable.. its just switched back off again.

Matt

Like this post
matty-86

Likes # 0

Just checked the RAM took it out put the sticks back in, had a quick check around other conections.

it still switched off.. One thing i did notice was.. the CPU cooler heatsink was red hot after it switched off when i say red hot it was too hot to touch for more than a second or two is this normal? surely not? the cooler van seemed to spin slower than the case fan?

thing is.. it was fine this morning so how could a re-install of windows trigger this if its the cpu cooler.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

can you remove the cpu fan?

there may be a layer of dust between the fan and heatsink causing it to overheat

your symptoms suggest overheating or failing PSU, may just be a coincidence that it has happens just as you reinstalled windows.

Like this post
matty-86

Likes # 0

I installed core temp very quickily its theres two temps one says core 0 one says core 1 .. there very high in 80's degrees.

i think i can unscrew 4 little screws and clean behind the fan there is dust there yeah.

Also wen first starting the computer a message comes up very quickly just about read most of it something along lines of: ati radeon graphics xpress smomething then ??? not sure what that means graphics are built into motherboard

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...