We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Just how many installations of Internet Explorer ARE on my system?

Phrixos

Likes # 0

Having recently installed IE10, it caused all sorts of problems on my system, so I uninstalled it and in the usual manner, via Control Panel/Programs & Features/View Installed Updates > Microsoft Windows. Imagine my surprise when I found IE 9 still fully function on my system. So I uninstalled it too. Imagine my utter astonishment when I then found IE8 still fully functioning on my system. So I went to uninstall it too—expecting by this time to have to uninstall versions all the way down to IE1. Imagine my complete bafflement when I found I cannot uninstall IE8 because it isn't even listed. I want to put IE 10 back on, but I'm wondering at this point if it CAN run on its own or must it really run piggy-backed on top of all its previous versions?

Comments?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

IE10 runs on its own. I have a new laptop which has never had earlier versions. When you install later versions of IE it automatically rolls back to the earlier version. This is best way for people who find that the latest version isn't suitable for them. However it should be noted that the latest version is usually better for security.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

When you uninstall the latest version that is what it is designed to do - go back to previous version until it's IE8. so I can only say - your IE is normal as per Microsoft designed it.

If you have problem with IE10 perhaps you could start new Thread saying what the problem is (if you reinstall IE10 that is)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Woolwell is IE10 only for W7 ? meaning if you have XP you can only go to IE9 ?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

lotvic IE10 was at first for W8 only but has now been released for W7. Other OS's cannot obtain it. There isn't a lot of change visually but it is more secure with "Do not track", etc. I also think that it is faster and I prefer it to Chrome for this site whereas Chrome was better than IE9 on this site.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell, I wasn't sure how it worked from IE9 up.

Like this post
Phrixos

Likes # 0

Yeah, I've since discovered that IE's rollback feature is normal. It was a bit of a shock, though. Perhaps the infamous love-hate relationship that users have with Microsoft would be alleviated somewhat if users were advised at such times, what to expect. I had, for instance, to waste half an hour only to finding out that IE8 was, unlike the other versions of IE, missing from Installed Updates because it uninstalls very differently from the other versions. Anyway, having rid my machine of all versions and reinstalled IE10 afresh, the problem seems to have gone away.

One responder asked what the problem was. Well—and, mind you, only when IE10 was running—it was as if my keyboard was crapping out. Keyed in letters didn't appear and crazy spellings appeared in their place. Seriously (a sobering suspicion, I can assure you), I began to think I was loosing motor control of my fingers. Thanks, Microsoft, for the grief. After a while I realized that apparently random delays were introducing themselves in the keying, to the effect that (say) the word "elephant" would come out something like "ephnla." Weird. (All my drivers are, btw, up to date.)

Thanks to all, for the input.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......