We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Webroot reports my system is underusing Ram?

Phrixos

Likes # 0

A fan of Advanced System Care, I don't normally use Webroot System Analyser. This one time, however, I thought I'd give Webroot a try. (I used "Run", not an install.) It was disappointing. Still, it did say one thing that concerned me, which ASC has never reported. Webroot says that,

"Not all ram can be used by your 32bit operating system."

I can find nothing on this anywhere on the web. I've also never heard of the problem before—so I'm left wondering if it is a problem fundamental to my arrangement of hardware or if it may just need a tweak somewhere.

My self-built Asus P5E System (Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600) has 4GB Corsair Ram—which, interestingly enough, Task Manager never has shown to be even half used.

Any advice?

regards, Phrixos

Like this post
Phrixos

Likes # 0

Apologies for the ambiguity. I should have said, "my system never has reported my RAM as being (at best) even half used."

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 1

What Webroot is reporting about is a fundamental limitation of a 32 bit operating system. 32 bit Windows can only utilise 3.25GB of ram. To fully utilise all 4GB. or more, of ram you need 64 bit Windows.

Like this post
Phrixos

Likes # 0

Thanks Mr Mistoffelees. Never knew that. Puts the kibosh on my occasional temptation too add more ram.

Any thoughts on why Task Manager shows that my system, no matter how burdened, will never use more than 2GB of ram?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...