We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Changing browser from IE to Google Chrome

algey

Likes # 0

Hello

Am thinking of changing my IE browser to Google Chrome. So far I have been able to transfer my Favourites (bookmarks) but am unable to transfer the downloads I have made using IE. IE have a 'tools' button which opens up my downloads but I cannot see how to transfer it to Google Chrome.

Thank You

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

On my PCs IE9 & Google Chrome both download to a Default Directory (Folder),

Which is C:\Users\David\Downloads

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

If you are keeping all your downloaded files in a specific downloads folder then set this to be the default download location in the Chrome/Settings by clicking on the three horizontal bar icon at top right.

You would be better to store your downloads in more appropriate folders ie Music, Movies etc after downloading them and leave the downloads folder clear for new downloads.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You do not need to change you just load Chrome then import bookmarks from IE

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Algey says he has already transferred his bookmarks and was asking about his downloads.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

that's controlled by the browser settings that he uses. he chooses the destination folder or ask where to save files to

Like this post
algey

Likes # 0

Hi Everybody

Thanks for your replies. I did post 24 hours ago,but obviously wasn't successful!

Am following alanrwoods advice and bearing in mind woodchips.

Like this post
tech_wise

Likes # 0

Hi everyone,

Algey - something else you may want to bear in mind is the (somewhat unfortunate) fact that Internet Explorer doesn't properly clear it's history.

So even if you move to Chrome and delete IE from your computer, there will still be files that contain your browsing history.

This really surprised me when I found out and I imagine it has caught many people out!

This post explain it in more detail and how to deal with it.

Like this post
algey

Likes # 0

tech_wise thanks for that. Very interesting.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK