We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

External Hard Drive advice.

andypurcell

Likes # 0

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advanced advice around the purchase of a new external HDD as my current 2Tb USB 2.0 is now pretty much full, and has never been the fastest.

What I'm looking for is a drive with the best transfer speeds and high ability when it comes to streaming HD videos onto my laptop.

I have a Dell Studio 1558 laptop which has several USB 2.0 ports, an eSATA port, and a Gigabit LAN port.

The option of an eSATA external HDD is one way I could go, but I'm trying to find out whether or not a NAS HDD would be a better option?

My set up is a TP-Link 500Mbps powerline adapter supplying internet access from my BT Homehub3 to a TP-Link 5-port Gigabit Switch in my upstairs bedroom. As well as the other powerline adapter, I also have my laptop, Sky OnDemand, and xbox 360 all plugged into this Switch.

This leaves me with one free Ethernet port on my Gigabit switch; if I buy a NAS HDD and plug it in to my Switch, will this HDD be accessible without any issues from my laptop, and what would the performance be like vs eSATA option?

Hope you guys can help, thanks in advance

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......