We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Eled

EDEL

Likes # 0

My HP pavilion DV3 will light up and the fan run for a short time, but it will not boot up. Any ideas. Many thanks. Eled.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You haven't said if this is a sudden fault or if there have been problems previously. Does anything show on the screen? or does it switch itself off before?

Laptop/Notebook. Probably overheating due to fan outlet blocked by dust and muck.

unplug from mains power, take out the battery.

Hold power button in for 30 seconds to clear any residual power.

Clean fan outlets as best you can. Do not blow the dust further in, suck it out (hold vac cleaner nozzle near vent) and clean (using cotton buds)

Connect power back up and see if will start.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

try just on mains without battery

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Maybe your computer has an identity crisis; am I Eled or EDEL?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I expect all these new members/thread starters being helped by the new forum guide as mentioned by the FE some weeks ago.

"Those of you who have been with us a while will know that I wrote a forum guide some time ago, and that was distributed to anyone who asked for it. In addition we have a full set of forum rules available for anyone to read via the link that sits next to 'Contact the Forum Editor[ at the top of the pages. That version is somewhat outdated now, which is why I decided on a fresh version. It was finished a couple of weeks ago, and is waiting in a queue to be uploaded to the server. We are also going to arrange that one goes to every new forum user upon registration, so nobody can complain they don't have one."

Or perhaps not, as we are still seeing threads with nothing more than "help" or their email address or in this case Eled.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

For God's sake! Guy has asked for help. Can we just get on with providing it instead of all this "holier than thou" nitpicking about the way the thread was presented?

If you can't understand ask for clarification, as somebody already has. If you do understand, then just get on with it.

eled

Welcome. I can't help myself but I am sure others will try. Please ignore the silly criticisms. Most people here are very helpful.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Maybe more help would be forthcoming if the thread had a proper title,its not holier than thou nor nitpicking.Be interesting if every thread was titled Help,wouldent it?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

(ELED)

entangled light-emitting diode

welcome to the forum

Follow lotvic and woodchips advice and post back as to whether it makes any difference or not.

Like this post
EDEL

Likes # 0

Eled here posting for Edel. Many for your help. We have bought a new Laptop.

Once many thanks for trying to help us.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Maybe more help would be forthcoming if the thread had a proper title,"

Yes, but if Eled is in the depths of rural Armenia dredging up his English from his school friends he may not realise that "Title" refers to the title of the thread rather than his own own.

He is not the first to make this understandable mistake.

Perhaps more help wound be forthcoming if PCA used "Subject" or "Thread Title" rather than something which simply puts many people, particularly those who don't have English as a first language, in mind of Burke's Peerage".

Eled

Thanks for the update.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

morddwyd

Doesn't the forum rules 'suggest' that the originator provides at least 5 words as an intro title to a post?.

From my own experiences, I seem to have a number of title rejections, due to the PCA forum not accepting a short title or regarding it as spam!.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone