We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Trying to restore Samsung Notebook to working condition

alternator
Resolved

Likes # 0

(Sorry for long description) I am trying to restore a Samsung N150plus notebook to working condition for a friend, so don't know to much about it.I know it runs MS Win 7 starter, and it had AVG antivirus installed, I have no info on RAM or processor(other than sticker Intel Atom inside) etc. Problem is when you start it comes up with page Recommend using Start up Repair, if you select this it gives a message "Your computer was unable to start" Startup repair is checking your system for problems. The progress bar just continually runs with the message "Attempting repairs". It says it might take several minutes, I let it run for 20minutes and it never finished, so cancelled it. This just seems to freeze the screen, only way to get out of it is to turn off the machine. If you try a normal windows start up the progress bar runs for a minute or so and the screen goes blank. Again the only way to achieve anything is to turn off the computer. Managed to get into Windows memory diagnostic tool which when run, reports no error found, during the test,it says it will restart with a report, which it does but screen remain blank after ms corp progress bar disappears. Again have to turn off. Turning on again with F4 pressed takes me into Samsung Recovery Solution 4(splash page), left running for 20 mins it says 'please wait' but only thing that happens during the 20 mins is hard drive light blinks occasionally.Again switched off. Rebooting pressing F8 and select start in safe mode, it starts loading the Windows files but stops with a page full of loaded files, with please wait at the bottom left. Same result if I try other options, with networking - Prompt - last know good configuration - etc. I do have the Samsung System Recovery Media DVD, but obviously the notebook does not have a DVD drive. I would appreciate any help or ideas.

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

Sorry I should have said it goes to System recovery option if you don't select install.

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

Hi again Fruitbat, Latest effort to install W7 failed, well infact it didn't even get started. Selected language keyboard etc. then next I get set up is starting the light on the USB lights for 5minutes then goes out still with the 'Setup is starting', the HDD light flashes occasionally but nothing else. Left it for 15mins no joy. I think there must be some sort of hardware problem, the guys whose computer it is said it was working one minute and on next start up it wasn't. Sorry to put a dampener on it but I appreciate all the help, at least I can make bootable USB stick now. Will put this as resolved, I bet everyone is fed up of seeing this thread at the top of the list. Thanks again.

Like this post  
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Looks like you have a bad hard drive

A HDD replacement and put that XP or a linux distro on it :0)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more