We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

cable Routers

jon2

Likes # 0

I have the standard router as supplyed by Virgin on my cable braordband, is there any advantage in investing in an of the shelf router

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

You don't say what the "standard router" you have is.

These days, Virgin supply their Super Hub which is a combined Cable Modem and 802.11n (300Mbps) Wireless Router with 4-port Gigabit switch. You are unlikely to improve on that, although its wireless signal strength is poorer than, in my case, the D-Link router I used previously. It also doesn't support simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi.

If you're using one of their old Netgear WGR614 routers, which only supports 802.11g (54Mbps), then contact them and ask for an upgrade.

Like this post
jon2

Likes # 0

the router is VMDG 480, it say's its a super router

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You are talking about Virginmedia Super Hub [VMDG 480 ] which I think is fairly poor and you are probably better off with your old one.

They supply everyone with those now and are not as good as Virginmedia try to make out.

You will get no sleep if you have one of those installed in the bedroom as the lights just keep on flashing all night and are a nuisance.

You can use it as a modem only and plug your old router into it and use it that way.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?