We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP PRO - 'Windows Explorer Has Encountered a Problem'

onthelimit1
Resolved

Likes # 0

Clicking on most desktop icons, Computer, Control Panel, My Documents etc results in ‘Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and has to close’ etc. Can open IE. Things I’ve done:

Run MBAM, Rkill, Combofix, CCleaner. Tried System Restore – ‘couldn’t complete’. Tried the Cold Boot sequence – same happens no matter what. Run Scannow and chkdsk.

In Safe Mode, all is normal.

Any thoughts while I go and crack a bottle of red, please?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

do you have another account - try the admin account

it may be a corrupt profile causing the problem.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Looking at the Event Viewer logs may reveal more on what's causing the problem. There should be a red "Error" event for every Explorer crash - double-click on it to view the full details.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Running the Admin acct. I'll try the event viewer when I've finished my supper (and the red!).

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Hmm. Seems that to run Event Viewer I have to be able to access Control Panel, which I can't!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

P.S. - I'll restart in safe Mode and see what that brings...................

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Seems that to run Event Viewer I have to be able to access Control Panel"

Typing eventvwr.msc into the Run box is another way.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Well, loads of errors (as always), but nothing obvious. The most frequent ones under 'system' are DCOM.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Under 'application', the red crosses are all for 'Application Error'.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Well, loads of errors (as always), but nothing obvious. The most frequent ones under 'system' are DCOM.............Under 'application', the red crosses are all for 'Application Error'."

You need to focus on the events that coincide exactly with an Explorer crash. If in doubt, generate a crash then refresh the Event Viewer view.

Remember that you need to double-click an event to see useful details. The details window has a handy Copy button there if you want to paste something here.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks SS. I'll have to leave it until tomorrow, but will get back.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today