We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

difference between winzip and winrar

ponytail

Likes # 0

I have some Rar files I need to open I used to use WinRar but do not have it on my laptop I do have software for Winzip version 8.1 would that do the same job as WinRar or do I need to install WinRar

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Go and get the excellent 7Zip which will open .rar files and .zip files.

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Hi Chronos the 2nd I cicked on your link then chose 64-bit x64 for windows 64 then clicked on run and got the following message The publisher of7z920 x64 could't be verified are you sure you want to run the program in other words is it safe and did I choose the correct download for windows 7

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

That's jzip - never come across it before.Chronos the 2nd recommended 7zip.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Two points here, I would not recommend and post a link to something I had not used myself. Also I have used this program for many years. What more can I say.

Like this post
bjh.

Likes # 0

7Zip is excellent. Have used it safely and freely for years now. Chronos the 2nd's link is fine and safe (and he's also been around here for years, so he's probably safe as well....). That message you got is, in this case, nothing to worry about.

It's a very versatile and well-supported piece of free software.

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

Seconded (or should that be thirded). 7ZIP is fast, stable, easily handles multiple archive types (including RAR)and easily integrates into windows. Used it for years with no probs

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Win/Zip is a Program for unziping and ziping files to compress them, Win/Rar is a form of Zip file mostly used in Linux

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Winrar like Winzip is a program for unzipping and zipping files to compress them. One uses the file extension zip the other rar.

WinRar offers more functionality than Winzip

Winrar is the Windows version of the multi platform RaR Archiver

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

i have uninstalles the other program ie jzip and clicked on Chronos the 2nd link again andstill get the following message in red

Hi Chronos the 2nd I cicked on your link then chose 64-bit x64 for windows 64 then clicked on run and got the following message The publisher of7z920 x64 could't be verified are you sure you want to run the program in other words is it safe and did I choose the correct download for windows 7

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4219668/difference-between-winzip-and-winrar/#ixzz2OvB11cKc

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony PlayStation 5 release date, price and specs UK: When is the PS5 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV release date rumours, features: 'new Apple TV next week' rumour

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow