We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista re-install using a retrieved volume licence key

secret squirrell

Likes # 0

My OS was installed by my employer a school under their volume licence. They allowed me to keep the OS when I left. Can I now retrieve the Licence Key using something like SIW? If so, Can I re-install using it??

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Don't see why not as it was licensed to that machine anyway.

Like this post
secret squirrell

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat, Don't really want to do something illegal! The only change would likely be a different HDD in order to preserve the current install though it is an old dog, in case it all goes Mammaries aloft! I now have the three component files: X14-63452.exe / boot.wim / install.wim but I've no idea how to proceed!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Personally if I was just changing to a larger drive I would make an image of the system partition

swap drive and restore the image to the larger drive no need to worry about license keys or reinstalling programs etc.

See the post from etandfamily here Macrium is free and easy to use if you do not have a disk copying software

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Acronis for £19.95 might do the trick.

Acronis

This runs for another 4 days then goes back to normal price.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I've used Seagate's free software to clone a small disk to a larger. It's a slimmed down version of Acronis and is a doddle to use.

Like this post
secret squirrell

Likes # 0

Thanks guys, don't know why but I've stopped getting email notifications...do you have to check the subscribe box every time? I do have Acronis and several images, but the problem is the OS is and has been running like a three legged dog for a couple of years now and I wanted to do a complete re-install. someone pointed me to this website and I have downloaded three files:- X14-63452.exe

boot.wim

install.wim

but I don't have a clue what to do with them!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look here , scroll down a bit.

Like this post
secret squirrell

Likes # 0

Wow! Thanks rdave13 that looks helpful, though it's getting more complex than I expected!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm still not sure you will be able to find the Windows key for Vista using a product key finder but if there's a key on a sticker, somewhere ,you could use that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK