We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No Power Up

DAKAR

Likes # 0

Hi All I have a request for help from an elderly gent who went to power up this morning and he says that he cannot hear any hard disk or fan noise from his PC and a message on the monitor says NO VIDEO SIGNAL. He has windows 8 although he was not sure what operating system he has and as I dont live near him I cannot check it and give any more information. Any help is appreciated Dakar

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Simple first thing would be to check that the plugs fuse is not blown, and that the socket his PC is plugged in to is still fine and that it has not tripped at the fuse board. That has caught me out before now.

Like this post
DAKAR

Likes # 0

Chronas the 2nd hello, I said the same thing over the phone to him this morning and he seems to think its ok at the socket anyway, because the lamp works,and he gets a NO Video signal message on his monitor. Whats your thoughts on that? Regards Dakar

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

'No video' means the monitor is not getting a signal from the computer.

Sounds like the PC has no power, check mains leads are ok.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

he says that he cannot hear any hard disk or fan noise from his PC and a message on the monitor says NO VIDEO SIGNAL.

No actions from the PC usually mean a power failure of some sort

After checking the socket works / the plug is in / the fuse is OK / switch at rear of PSU (if fitted) is on / try another lead /

then we are at the PC itself :-

PSU failure is the first thing that comes to mind.

Front power switch not working (temporary short across terminals on motherboard), to see if attempts to start.

Disconnect all drives and attempt to start as a bad drive can drag down a PSU.

Faulty motherboard comes next / CPU blown but usually fans work.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

Come on Fruit Bat, did you not read the original thread, this is an elderly gent and you are suggesting shorting across terminals on the motherboard. No reflection on the elderly by the way as I have just spent the best part of an hour trying to describe the exact same procedure to a 25 year old.

Unless the guy is comfortable with delving into the innards of a PC then a visit from a PC savvy friend is called for.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd

Yes I did

just didn't word it well :0(

and I agree with you entirely

Unless the guy is comfortable with delving into the innards of a PC then a visit from a PC savvy friend is called for.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat

Was not getting at you mate. We all forget sometimes that advice can be tricky to word when one is unsure of the knowledge of others.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia