We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Date changing on Microsoft Works history?

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

I use Microsoft Works version 9 for producing correspondence, and over the past few months it as been giving problems with date changing in history.

I type a document and 'Save As', then 'Save' as I proceed to the print-out. On retrieving the document at a later date, I find that the document date as changed to the new day I retrieve it, instead of the original and true date the document or letter was written. I usually then have to re-type in the original date.

Is there a solution to this, because its becoming a bit of an annoyance?.

Any responses appreciated as usual.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Spuds, how did you originally enter the date in your Works document? Was it via the "Insert" -> "Date & Time" option or did you type it in manually? If it was the former then what you're experiencing is normal as opening the document the date field will always update to show the current date.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Should have perhaps added, that having checked on the internet, there does seem to be others with a similar problem. A remedy that as been suggested is: 'Click on Insert and Date - Time - Uncheck the option Automatically Update when printing'.

I don't seem to be able to find this Uncheck option in the Works V9 program?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Secret- Squirrel, not sure if its the answer. But I normally write the correspondence with the date manually, and leave it that?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

For anyone following this thread, I have found Ehow very interesting http://www.ehow.com./microsoft-works/

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

If you're not using the Works Date field but typing the date in manually each time then I can't see how it's managing to update itself automatically when you reopen the document. Try this experiment:

Open one of the affected documents, erase the date, type it in manually, then save the document. Change the date on your computer to tomorrow's then reopen that document. I'm expecting that the date will be unchanged. Has it?

Don't forget to return the computer's date back to how it was when you're finished testing.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have tried the above, saved and closed the document with yesterday's date (manually). Changed computer clock to tomorrow's date, re-opened the document, and tomorrow's date is now showing on the document. So it perhaps would appear that its changing date 'automatically' on update?.

I am still trying to find the 'Uncheck the option Automatically Update when printing', because it would appear to be something possibly to do with this?.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

I'm puzzled by all that Spuds.

All I can think of is that we're talking about different types of date within MS Works. The date I'm referring to is, for example, when I'm typing a formal letter I type the recipient's address top-left, the date underneath, then underneath that "Dear Sir or Madam", etc.

If you're referring to some other type of date then give us more info.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel.

Its just a normal standard letter as you describe, that's why its so puzzling.

My post at 5.53pm seems to suggest its something to do with the 'automatic option' which as been suggested on internet searches. Going to Microsoft support for Works doesn't help much, except to check for updates (XP/Works), which shows nothing. Even doing the Works tour etc doesn't help.

One thing that I may have found, is going back to some much earlier dated documents, and the dates on those seemed to have been saved?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have just had a further internet search, and no information, so had another play around with Works. Now found the Automatic box, but its already un-ticked. So back to some more experimenting?.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

I'm still baffled spuds.

The latest version of Works that I've got is 8.5 and it obviously behaves differently to yours so I won't be much help. Hope you find a fix for this issue.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more