We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

WD My Book Elite - External Drive - 2TB - Urgent help required

Angry Kid

Likes # 0

Evening,

I hope someone is able to help me.

I have two external hard drives and both are connected to my pc all of the time as one is accessible by my wife and the other for system back ups or saving additional information.

However, I have noticed that my main back up drive is no longer visible / accessible through WD Smart View and was previously protected by a password. The display on the front of the drive is no longer lit and I am just left with a white dot of a light on the front to signify that power is connected. I have check all power / usb leads and all work fine and the pc recognises the connection of the drive with a sound but still this drive remains invisible and not displayed even in my computer.

Therefore, I am in need of some help as trawling through various forums I have drawn a blank on where to go next.

Any help in trying to access my drive would be greatly appreciated.

Angry ;-))

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If you cannot see it in Computer can you see it in Disk management?

Like this post
Angry Kid

Likes # 0

Evening Fruit Bat /\0/\,

I have just checked and cannot see my drive in here.

I am aware that my other WD My Book is active as I can hear it running but no sound coming from my problem drive.

Angry ;-)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Shut down and reboot see if the drive appears then.

If not then its looking like either

a bad connection to the drive in its caddy or the drive has failed.

Like this post
Angry Kid

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\

I have rebooted on several occasions over the weekend when trying to investigate this problem but to no avail.

As I get a connection sound on connecting usb cable to my drive / Windows 8 pc I therefore presume my drive has failed.

Angry ;-)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

connection sound usually means windows has detected the usb interface but worth looking in device manager a drives and usb to check no exclamation mark.

Like this post
Angry Kid

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Checked in Device Manager and can only see the current external drive that is connected and not the problem drive.

No sign of any exclamation mark.

Angry ;-)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Next thing to do is

Remove power supply

Disconnect from PC

open up the drive and check connections

If they look OK the you could try connecting direct to a sata port on your mother board and using a power connection from your PSU.

or connect the dive into another caddy.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...