We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SLOW RUNNING windows XP laptop

laptopdunce

Likes # 0

In the past few days my XP laptop has started running very slowly, everytime I log into a different website I get a little window appearing for a "computer clean up" ad. it says on the URL bar that it is "yieldmanager ads...." or something, this has only happened in the last few days, I have run a anti-malwarebytes scan and it always comes up clean, my question is: What is is this "clean up drive" ad and how do I stop it? its a real pain, I always close it down by "exit" in the toolbar below but it keeps appearing and I cant find anywhere in the control panel/programmes where this is emanating from. thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

tracking cookie giving you adverts and more http://www.ehow.co.uk/how5104180remove-adyieldmanager.html

or even better use Ccleaner to have a good clear out.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Have you done any maintenance lately, other than checking with antimalwarebytes. As lotvic as suggested, try CCleaner, and see if things improve a little, then come back and tell us what as happened.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I don't think that you can blame eBay for this, because I use eBay everyday, and the problem doesn't appear with my computer set-ups. It would seem that there is something amiss with your system.

PCA have had many remarks about the increase of adverts, and in the main it would seem as though Java script as something to do with the problems, that some people are experiencing?.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

PS: in the IE properties box, it is showing under "home page" this :- http://www.searchnu.com/406 - as my default, do you think this could be causing the problem, I normally have yahoo as my default page, how do I reset it to yahoo? I somehow suspect that this www.searchnu default home page is somehow causing all these stupid ads that keep popping up? or am I on the wrong track totally?? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If its set at default, then its going to be the first thing the homepage will open at, so you must ask yourself how it got there in the first place to act as a default?.

Try deleting it from the box and remove it from the computer, and see what happens then.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Don't forget to do a 'back-up' or restore point, in case it screws something up on removal.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

How do I remove the url that is on the "home" from tools = internet options? I am trying to put www.yahoo.com as the default home page but it wont accept it and keep going back to this one:- http://uk.msn.com/?ocid=iehp - It must this that is causing these HORRIBLE pop up ads, as I have been using google chrome browser all day and that is FANTASTIC!! none of this crap like you get with IE, BUT I cant figure out how to put all my custom aps on the top tool bar so I can go straight into them without typing in a full url. Thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Reset your internet options to default.Tools/internet options/advanced tab/reset to get rid of any add ons etc.Then go to tools/internet options and under general tab at the top enter what you want your your home page to be ie www.google.com and then apply.This will change your home page.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund