We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Newer graphis card reduces Windows experience.

Peter Lanky

Likes # 0

I have just replaced my old Nvidia 9500GT 512MB with an Nvidia GT610 2GB card. The result has seen my Windows Aero performance on the Windows Experience Index reduce from 5.4 to 4.2.

Not a good result.

System is Dell Vostro 430 with 8GB RAM running Windows 8 Pro. I have installed the latest driver for the new card.

Any explanation and solution?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Have you the latest drivers, if so have you tried deleting the drivers and rebooting to let them reinstall.

Like this post
Peter Lanky

Likes # 0

Yes. Uninstalled the display adapter in control panel, rebooted, and it reinstalled with the latest driver. No change to Windows Experience Score.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Peter: you've loaded the NVIDIA drivers, right (they run to about 100MB, from memory), and not allowed Windows to load default VGA drivers?

Like this post
Peter Lanky

Likes # 0

Latest driver installed v 9.18.13.1422 dated 14/3/2013

In fact the driver installed by CD from last year gives score of 4.7, but new driver only gives 4.2

Like this post
Peter Lanky

Likes # 0

I cleaned out old drivers using Driver Cleaner Pro, and then had a new Aero score of 4.7. However when I installed the latest driver from Nvidia, it returned to 4.2 again.

I also ran a test with 3DMark which gave the following results:

3DMark Score P663 Graphics Score 576 Physics Score 5580 Combined Score 560 3DMark Score 663 3DMarks Graphics Score 576 Physics Score 5580 Combined Score 560 Graphics Test 1 2.5772271156311035 FPS Graphics Test 2 2.6766014099121094 FPS Graphics Test 3 3.48044490814209 FPS Graphics Test 4 1.826974630355835 FPS Physics Test 17.715332 FPS Combined Test 2.60705781 FPS

The figures mean nothing to me, but without getting too complex, do they suggest my card is operating normally?

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

Peter i dont think the score is that important,a better way of looking at this issue is to ask yourself has game performance increased? if it has i wouldnt worry about the score Found this about the windows 8 experience,lots of people are seeing the same problems http://www.faqforge.com/windows/windows-experience-index-scale-changes-on-windows-8/

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

I may add too that the gt 610 is a low end graphics card its a rebadged gt 520,the newer 6 series are the much faster kepler models

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/20/nvidia-outs-budget-geforce-gt-610-gt-620-and-gt-630-no-kepler/

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...