We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC upgrade advice from my current specs

deadlydanscott

Likes # 0

Just a general bit of advice needed. I've had my pc three years now (specs below) and I dont really want to fork out for a new one as I think mine is still pretty decent. Just wondered what people thought would be good areas to update. I use the PC for Blu Rays, gaming (mainly) and normal internet use. So graphics/speed is important of course. Let me know what you think. Cheers

ASUS P7P55 LX Mainboard - Intel Core i5/i7 - LGA 1156 / ATX Intel Core i7 860 QUAD CORE Processor (2.8ghz, 8MB Cache) - LGA1156 4GB 1333mhz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM - (2 x 2gb) 1GB ATI Radeon HD5870 Graphics Card NZXT HUSH ATX MIDI TOWER + 700W PSU.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

I would suggest Graphics card and memory upgrade. What is your OS ?

Like this post
deadlydanscott

Likes # 0

Windows 7 OS - although I have been thinking about going to 8....just heard it was a bit, iffy. I need a decent external HD to back up everything first.

Any particular graphics card you would reccomend??

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

If your operating system is only 32bit then a memory upgrade is pointless but a graphics card upgrade would certainly help but what GPU to suggest depends on your budget.

Like this post
deadlydanscott

Likes # 0

its 64 bit and budget wise it really depends on price vs improvement. I'd happily spend a few hundred pounds for a significant improvement.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Switch ram up to 2x4GB 1600 CL8, ssd 256GB, gpu to 670 or 7870 depend on budget. Just checking whether a CPU upgrade would boost your spec at all.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes