We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows 8 scam caller has my address and phone number

pollpott
Resolved

Likes # 0

How can someone scam calling me have, obviously, my phone number but also my full address and post code. (The phone is ex directory) Should I be worried on another level? Obviously I didnt go along with the scammer.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

They possibly got your address from the electoral roll.

Like this post
pollpott

Likes # 0

yes but they wouldn't get my ex directory phone number that way.

Like this post
pollpott

Likes # 0

I have been called back by the scammer, i told him i couldn't talk earlier, now he wants me to download Team Viewer which I see would give him remote access to my pc. I hung up before doing it.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

My phone is ex directory but once you have actually given out to anyone particularly online then it is simple to get hold of other details.

Don't worry about it, as long as you do not download anything then it is not a problem. If you want wind the guy up have a bit of,put him on hold whilst you make a cup of tea/coffee have a bath whatever, he's paying for the call.

Like this post
pollpott

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronos that would make sense, I listened to what he said for a while before hanging up and you can see how they get people to go along with the, theysound very knowledgable and ask you to go through several steps before you ars asked to download the software.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

A Silver Surfer in my village got conned by one of these bu@@ers - cost him £120 on his credit card. Called me after the event. Suggested he could get the money back from the CC company as it was a con, but he was too embarrassed to call them.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Anyone could take you into the Event viewer and show you signs of errors, most of the time these are meaningless and certainly not cause for concern, most of the time you PC hiccuped and of course that is registered in the event viewer.

All these people want is you bank or credit card details and of course they sound knowledgeable but how difficult is that to most people who's expertise stops at the on button of a PC.

As I said have a bit of fun, play hard of hearing and mistake words ask really stupid questions particularly if they mention you might have a virus, ask them if you are going to die from this virus,is it catching, are your family at risk.

Like this post  
tullie

Likes # 0

Just hang up,dont carry on with any other nonsense,theve heard it all before.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

For persistent callers that keep phoning back. I hold the receiver up to my fire alarm and press the test button. I do give them fair warning that I am about to sound it after a count of 3-2-1. They never ring back after that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad