We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Printing photos the right size

ponytail

Likes # 0

My wife has some photos on her laptop and one in particular she would like some prints but when I print I keep getting a A4 size print when all I want is a postcard size,The printer is a Brother DCP-J315W printer.How do I set it to make the print smaller

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If it's XP you should be able to right click the image and select 'open with', it should be listed. This is from memory so hopefully someone using XP can confirm this.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Yes, you can - I just checked. It's called 'Windows Photo and Fax Viewwe'. When you open it, click on the 'print' icon at the bottom. It takes you through the steps, including one that lets you set the size of the print. (It's been there all this time, and I never knew... :-) )

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I would use a photo editing programme - a good, free one is Paint.net Paint.net. Then I suggest you make 300 dpi as a standard for printing. Then create a blank canvas of A4 size (210 x 297) at a resolution of 300dpi. Save it and call it , say, A4 Blank. Then size your pictures to suit - I suggest 4 to a page in portrait style at, say, 9.8 cm x 14.2 cm (set one and the other will set itself). Then select the whole picture, copy it, and paste it to the blank. move it to one corner. Do the same for each of 4 pictures ( each will be on a layer so you can end up with 4 to a page.) Then print in A4 portrait mode. You could do 2 to a page by sizing at, say 19 cm x 14.5 cm in landscape. Do ensure pictures and blank are in same resolution. NB remember to save the blank in original, form with no pictures.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The OP has been asking similar questions since November.

"I keep getting a A4 size print when all I want is a postcard size".

What paper size have you selected in the printer properties?

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Thanks ian in northampton what or whre do I click on to bring up this program

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Hi Guys Perhaps I am missing something when I go into irfan view right click on the image then open with external editor irfan view but cannot see any options to reduce the size I keep getting A4 size prints

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

On my laptop it is set to A4 but I can select photo then click OK but on my wifes laptop it is set at A4 and if I try and change it to Photo there is no OK button so it reverts back to A4

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Open the print > print > in the print dialog box adjust size of photo

Like this post
jounpla

Likes # 0

use irfanView, transform the pic size~

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......